• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How flexible to be when your buyer asks for work based on survey?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Nobody forced you to open this thread and read it

Seriously though, I agree with SE on this one though.

Get someone you trust in to have a look.
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

What you're saying is that you are prepared to lose the sale of the hose for £500, which has been pointed out as a reasonable price for the work later in the thread?

I'd say that whatever your electrician quotes (and don't mention the £500 in the hope that he quotes less) you go with and get it done.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

You find people will try all sorts of things to get you to drop your selling price.

As others have said if you have other interested buyers tell them in no uncertain terms to feck off.

If you are desperate to sell and they are the only takers will up to you.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          What you're saying is that you are prepared to lose the sale of the hose for £500, which has been pointed out as a reasonable price for the work later in the thread?
          No, I'm dubious whether it needs doing primarily. It appears that's a reasonable quote for the job quoted for... but that this may not be required work. If there's a safety issue then I should have that remedied so the house is fit for purpose. If the electrics are merely not up to current regs or could do with some work, that's surely for the buyer to do? The windows need painting quite soon and the shower re-grouting but I'm not expecting to pay for that.

The company quoting for the work aren't necessarily quoting for what is required, they might be up-selling. In fact from what I've found out this afternoon, they probably are. An oversensitive RCD is not a safety issue and I can apparently have the RCD switch replaced quite easily with no need for a whole new box.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
            You find people will try all sorts of things to get you to drop your selling price.

As others have said if you have other interested buyers tell them in no uncertain terms to feck off.

If you are desperate to sell and they are the only takers will up to you.
            They're a 1st time buyer and seemingly quite conservative... had full building survey plus gas+electrical checks on a 10 year old house in a modern development. Their survey recommended an electrical check so they had one. Now that is recommending a new consumer unit and they want me to have that done. So I sense no malice or trying to pull a fast one from them.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Sounds like a load of tulipe to me - 10 years is nothing for this kind of thing. What exactly are they saying is wrong?

17th Edition appeared in 2008 - it doesn't mean all houses built before that are unsafe!

Whether £500 is worth it for the sale is up to you, but I'd be wanting some serious guarantees that the sale is going to happen before putting my hand in my pocket. I can't see anyone else picking up on it.

Edit: Sorry didn't see this:

They're a 1st time buyer and seemingly quite conservative... had full building survey plus gas+electrical checks on a 10 year old house in a modern development. Their survey recommended an electrical check so they had one. Now that is recommending a new consumer unit and they want me to have that done. So I sense no malice or trying to pull a fast one from them.
              Well, the sparky would wouldn't he! What EXACTLY are they saying is the issue with the old one? I think you need to have a realistic talk to them and explain that this is not a normal request. The electrics (almost certainly) are not unsafe or incorrect, and they're not even old.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                Sounds like a load of tulipe to me - 10 years is nothing for this kind of thing. What exactly are they saying is wrong?

17th Edition appeared in 2008 - it doesn't mean all houses built before that are unsafe!

Whether £500 is worth it for the sale is up to you, but I'd be wanting some serious guarantees that the sale is going to happen before putting my hand in my pocket. I can't see anyone else picking up on it.

Edit: Sorry didn't see this:

Well, the sparky would wouldn't he! What EXACTLY are they saying is the issue with the old one? I think you need to have a realistic talk to them and explain that this is not a normal request. The electrics (almost certainly) are not unsafe or incorrect, and they're not even old.
                WHS

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                  I've had two sparkies in and I think my property was rewired in the 90s. Anyway neither have suggested changing loads of stuff they just remark it isn't up to current standards.

I suspect he simply said that, and they asked loads more questions including how much would it cost to replace.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

No, I'm dubious whether it needs doing primarily. It appears that's a reasonable quote for the job quoted for... but that this may not be required work. If there's a safety issue then I should have that remedied so the house is fit for purpose. If the electrics are merely not up to current regs or could do with some work, that's surely for the buyer to do? The windows need painting quite soon and the shower re-grouting but I'm not expecting to pay for that.

The company quoting for the work aren't necessarily quoting for what is required, they might be up-selling. In fact from what I've found out this afternoon, they probably are. An oversensitive RCD is not a safety issue and I can apparently have the RCD switch replaced quite easily with no need for a whole new box.
                    Tidy up what you've just said and send that to the estate agent - if the agent don't know that the house doesn't need to be compliant with current regs if the work wasn't done before then, then that's their problem.

Maybe the RCD switch as a compromise would work.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

We're moving and the buyer of our modern house (just over 10 years old) had a visual inspection done on the electrics which threw up issues with the RCDs. They are saying they need to be replaced for safety and are quoting ~£500 to fit a new consumer unit which my buyer is asking us to get done.

Apart from the price seeming steep and the fact I'm not sure if this is all required or about bringing it up to current regs, I've not been in this position. Is it the kind of thing a seller would expect to do as a matter of course, or would refuse, or what? Is there an etiquette here?

(If anyone's up on these things I can give the techy details if they're interested)
                      Everybody is missing the obvious.

The price agreed is 'as is'.

If he wants £500 worth of work doing before he moves in, the price becomes +£500.

Comment

Working...
                      X