• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How flexible to be when your buyer asks for work based on survey?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RetSet View Post
    Everybody is missing the obvious.

The price agreed is 'as is'.

If he wants £500 worth of work doing before he moves in, the price becomes +£500.
    Have you ever bought a house?
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

My mother had similar issue when my uncle died and she was selling his old house. Buyer had a "roofer" mate and said the roof is substandard and three grand will need to come off the asking price, before they would purchase.

I told mater to ask the buyer for her for proper RISC Survey that she had "obvously" done.

Sale when through at asking price.

qh
      He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by RetSet View Post
        Everybody is missing the obvious.

The price agreed is 'as is'.

If he wants £500 worth of work doing before he moves in, the price becomes +£500.
        AS-is applies to obvious defects and general condition. The whole point of having surveys and safety inspections is to discover things which are not evident to the naked eye.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          AS-is applies to obvious defects and general condition. The whole point of having surveys and safety inspections is to discover things which are not evident to the naked eye.
          Correct. The key to this is whether the work is deemed a blocker to them agreeing to buy at the fee that was agreed "subject to survey". We walked away from one house purchase because there was £10,000 worth of work turned up in the survey and they graciously offered to drop the price by two grand.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
            My mother had similar issue when my uncle died and she was selling his old house. Buyer had a "roofer" mate and said the roof is substandard and three grand will need to come off the asking price, before they would purchase.

I told mater to ask the buyer for her for proper RISC Survey that she had "obvously" done.

Sale when through at asking price.

qh
            Problem is few surveyors say things like electrics and gas are fine.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

When I bought my ~25 year old house 18 months ago, the Homebuyers report came back saying the surveyor hadn't had sight of an electrical certificate and therefore recommended an inspection.

I elected not to bother with the inspection, after all it was a 25 year old house. It wasn't suddenly unsafe, there is no requirement to bring all existing house up to current standards.

That said, I had the consumer unit replaced a few weeks ago (cost: £260) because I was wiring an outbuilding into it. He initially said full unit replacement was unnecessary but later suggested an upgrade because breakers were hard to come by (fact - I had tried myself and could only find used breakers in eBay) and it would allow us to consolidate a whole board of stuff (a separate unit for the electric shower was in place) into a single unit. At the same time, the sparky also created a new ring for the electrics in my garage rather than them being on the main downstairs ring.

The points here being that a) £500 is expensive, b) for a 10 year old house the electrics will not be affecting the value if they are in a good state of repair and you haven't done anything seriously shonky with them, c) they are better getting it done themselves if they really must, because they might want to do something different with it later and d) they are first time buyers, so they don't know what they are on about. They probably don't have a spare £500 in the budget to perform an unnecessary piece of work.
              Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                Problem is few surveyors say things like electrics and gas are fine.
                Yes, very true.

qh
                He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Surveyors flag up anything they can't see to cover their own backsides.

Comment

Well with gas & electrics if you don't have a current safety certificate they'll certainly say "it should be inspected". Which is reasonable, except with electrics it's quite likely to come back with a really worrying list of issues if the wiring is 3 years old, let alone 23.

Obviously you want to catch genuine safety issues like an RCD not tripping, my scenario seems to simply be they've told the buyer that everything identified "needs" doing, so they have in turn asked me to remedy it. Which on the buyer's part is reasonable based on what they've been told.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

In that case it's worth you going through the list with your electrician or builder who you trust and asking which are mandatory. to replace the PCB three years on is stupid.

Comment

Working...
                      X