• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sole Trader query

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IP rights is absolutely something you can have addressed in your contract. In some sub-sectors of software development it's very common for people to have pet projects, or work actively on FOSS projects. I was under the impression UK/EU protection stops companies being able to 'own' you despite what they may put in your contract. This is assuming you;re not writing something which competes with your client or uses your insider knowledge.
    Be aware of it but it's not insurmountable.

Sole Trader is a perfectly reasonable way of doing things, I thought generally 'employers' didn't like it as it increases their liabilities? i.e. if they're happy then it's fine. Lots of freelance web-devs in particular work this way.

Have they said WHY they won't work with your 'Entity'?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      IP rights is absolutely something you can have addressed in your contract. In some sub-sectors of software development it's very common for people to have pet projects, or work actively on FOSS projects. I was under the impression UK/EU protection stops companies being able to 'own' you despite what they may put in your contract. This is assuming you;re not writing something which competes with your client or uses your insider knowledge.
      Be aware of it but it's not insurmountable.

Sole Trader is a perfectly reasonable way of doing things, I thought generally 'employers' didn't like it as it increases their liabilities? i.e. if they're happy then it's fine. Lots of freelance web-devs in particular work this way.

Have they said WHY they won't work with your 'Entity'?
      Thanks, they have not advised why they won't work with my Ltd company. Currently I am working with agency which will stop by end of the month. Client is moving to single vendor instead of multiple agencies. so, they have asked to work directly as an contractor (we’re unable to contract with your entity BUT can contract with you for (6) months as an individual). I report to team based in US. This is a US based company, they do have offices here in UK.

Comment

Originally posted by vik845 View Post
        I report to team based in US. This is a US based company, they do have offices here in UK.
        Would your contract actually be with a US company or with a UK company owned/operated by the parent company in the US?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
        X