• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Total fatalities/injuries from terrorism in the UK since 1970

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    You don't think that now we realise that the Government can & should prevent them is a driver?
    Yes of course and I've no doubt the figures are so low because many Muslims are actively helping the security services.

We saw the IRA as a war, casualties were expected. We see ISIS as terrorist scum.
    Bollocks the IRA were described as terrorists then, not soldiers (still remember the harrowing killing of those 2 soldiers on telly in the 80s).
    The claimed root cause is the same: Britain interfering in what they see (rightly or wrongly) as "their" country.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
      Growing up in the 1970s/80s I do remember the War generation being of a genuinely different mindset. It was still fashionable to take the pi55 out of them - stiff up lip and all that - which I never understood why. It was something that seemed to have started in the 1960s.
      Stoicism, phlegmatism, call it what you will, has always seemed to me to be a useful and pragmatic philosophy of life, if you have the strength of character for it.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
        Yes, for me it's always bad. I refuse to compare with day to day accidents that we can't control. Terrorism is a mass killing done on purpose to kill or injure others.

Comment

You don't think that now we realise that the Government can & should prevent them is a driver?

We saw the IRA as a war, casualties were expected. We see ISIS as terrorist scum.
          Didn't know you were an IRA apologist.

As a kid I knew it was terrorism and just got on with my life.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

He can make a team with LondonVermanc, the Thomas Mair apologist.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post

Are you sure! Probably in UK, because I remember that IRA (in UK), ETA (in Spain), FP25 (In Portugal) when in the news was called terrorist groups.

It's a fact that today the word terrorism is more common worldwide, we can call other name but they are terrorists.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

I'm not, however from memory the perception was more of a war.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
                  Are you sure! Probably in UK, because I remember that IRA (in UK), ETA (in Spain), FP25 (In Portugal) when in the news was called terrorist groups.

It's a fact that today the word terrorism is more common worldwide, we can call other name but they are terrorists.
                  "McGuinness 'was a freedom fighter, not a terrorist'" - BBC News 24-03-2017

Right you are Gerry.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    Yes of course and I've no doubt the figures are so low because many Muslims are actively helping the security services.

Bollocks the IRA were described as terrorists then, not soldiers (still remember the harrowing killing of those 2 soldiers on telly in the 80s).
                    The claimed root cause is the same: Britain interfering in what they see (rightly or wrongly) as "their" country.
                    Me too, the 'Killing of the Corporals'. Shocking.

Wrong place, wrong time, carried Army ID showing 'Herford' (which is in Germany, British Army base), the killers read it as 'Hereford' and assumed they were SAS....

Still upsets me, the fear in those guys eyes....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporals_killings

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                      Me too, the 'Killing of the Corporals'. Shocking.

Wrong place, wrong time, carried Army ID showing 'Herford' (which is in Germany, British Army base), the killers read it as 'Hereford' and assumed they were SAS....

Still upsets me, the fear in those guys eyes....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporals_killings
                      Aye, me too. One of those shocking things imprinted in your memory.
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X