• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Total fatalities/injuries from terrorism in the UK since 1970

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bee View Post
    Are you sure! Probably in UK, because I remember that IRA (in UK), ETA (in Spain), FP25 (In Portugal) when in the news was called terrorist groups.

It's a fact that today the word terrorism is more common worldwide, we can call other name but they are terrorists.
    No probably in the UK.

He's what we call an "IRA apologist".

Everyone else recognised them like ETA as a terrorist group.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      As kids we got inured to it, it was just mentioned on the news with a calm matter of factness.
      I date the collapse of the stiff upper lip to 1997 and Diana's death, that's when it became apparent.
      But there is still a core of tough people in this country.
      I think becoming inured is part of the process is not a bad thing.
      Regarding stiff upper lip you could notice inside UK, outside, for us we don't notice.

Comment

Nope - they were definitely viewed a terrorists in the UK (and still are)

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          No probably in the UK.

Got a book about the history of the IRA, I remember reading in it (and in the Saville Report) into Bloody Sunday, McGuinness being quite open in the book and his testimony about the strength of the IRA in Derry back then. 15-20 people, mostly Derry Young Hooligans or called something like that, couple of rifles and hardly any ammo.

Could be smoke and mirrors, but has a ring of truth about it. Only later probably did things get more organised with US money....

Comment

When you're used to something it becomes more routine?

I hardly think you can argue being angry and upset by a terrorist attack is weak/snowflakey. It's right to be horrified by such things.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

No probably in the UK.

Ok good, I was answering to Vetran. But I don't see him as an IRA apologist.

Comment

London 1993 - that is terrorism. We didn't ban Irish people or Catholics, we understood it was just a small group of *****:

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
                  Ok good, I was answering to Vetran. But I don't see him as an IRA apologist.
                  So if you said ISIS are an army for Islam, you wouldn't be an ISIS apologist?
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                    London 1993 - that is terrorism. We didn't ban Irish people or Catholics, we understood it was just a small group of *****:
                    Then again, a good percentage are happy to vote Sinn Fein come rain or shine.

Comment

No probably in the UK.

and you are being rude and very un-observant.

I detest the IRA.

However the feeling I remember was less like the modern perception of terrorism. That is what I was trying to convey. Imagine a piece like this about ISIS even on the BBC.

BBC - History - The Troubles

People publicly expressed support for the IRA and 'the troubles'. The leaders were on TV until 1988.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1988%E...e_restrictions.

Do I think the IRA are murdering scum - hell yes, do I think they were terrorists - yes. Do I think they feel as ominous & mysterious as ISIS now do - no because Sinn Fein were about.
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X