• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Total fatalities/injuries from terrorism in the UK since 1970

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Total fatalities/injuries from terrorism in the UK since 1970

https://www.graphiq.com/vlp/b9oeLjtXOND

Peak years for deaths were 1972 and 1988. And yet I don't remember such wailing and anguish and generally snowflake behaviour in the 70s/80s.
    Is it simply the case that today's generation is weak or is it that because it's Muslims rather than Catholics now, it's in some people's interest to make it look worse than it is?
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Originally posted by sasguru View Post

Peak years for deaths were 1972 and 1988. And yet I don't remember such wailing and anguish and generally snowflake behaviour in the 70s/80s.
    Is it simply the case that today's generation is weak or is it that because it's Muslims rather than Catholics now, it's in some people's interest to make it look worse than it is?
    The nature of 24-hour news and that fact that anyone can band about their opinion on the likes of FB and Twitter?

Comment

There is a lot of radical Brexiteer virtue signalling going on from LondonVermanc and his Thomas Mair apologist fellow travellers.

Comment

Terrorist attacks every year, I'm shocked.
        I thought it was less.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
          I thought it was less.
          As kids we got inured to it, it was just mentioned on the news with a calm matter of factness.
          I date the collapse of the stiff upper lip to 1997 and Diana's death, that's when it became apparent.
          But there is still a core of tough people in this country.
          Last edited by sasguru; 24 March 2017, 15:33.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
            I thought it was less.
            You thought terrorism was bad?

During the 21st century, terrorism has been an insignificant cause of mortality
            in the United Kingdom. The annualised average of five deaths caused by
            terrorism in England and Wales over this period compares with total
            accidental deaths in 2010 of 17,201, including 123 cyclists killed in traffic
            accidents, 102 personnel killed in Afghanistan, 29 people drowned in the
            bathtub and five killed by stings from hornets, wasps and bees.
            http://terrorismlegislationreviewer....-acts-2011.pdf

Comment

...Is it simply the case that today's generation is weak...
              That's my kids' verdicts - that today's generation are largely self-indulgent whining little snowflakes.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

You don't think that now we realise that the Government can & should prevent them is a driver?

We saw the IRA as a war, casualties were expected. We see ISIS as terrorist scum.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  That's my kids' verdicts - that today's generation are largely self-indulgent whining little snowflakes.
                  Growing up in the 1970s/80s I do remember the War generation being of a genuinely different mindset. It was still fashionable to take the pi55 out of them - stiff up lip and all that - which I never understood why. It was something that seemed to have started in the 1960s.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    You don't think that now we realise that the Government can & should prevent them is a driver?

We saw the IRA as a war, casualties were expected. We see ISIS as terrorist scum.
                    I seem to remember the IRA being seen as terrorists, not soldiers.

Comment

Working...
                    X