• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

British Summer Time

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lambert Simnel View Post
    I have honestly never heard of the phrase "GMT Summer time". Given that GMT applies all the way along the 0 degree longitude, it doesn't really make sense as a phrase. Application of "Summer time" relies on you knowing which hemisphere you are referring to, and GMT as a time zone runs from pole to pole.
    In the UK you call BST, in other countries we don't call BST for obvious reasons.

I'm in Lisbon and we call Summer time that is GMT + 1 hour.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      Work isn't the issue, it's more evening activities that are better in the daylight.
      My favourite evening activity doesn't require daylight.
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
        My favourite evening activity doesn't require daylight.
        Or anyone else I would imagine....
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
          In the UK you call BST, in other countries we don't call BST for obvious reasons.

I'm in Lisbon and we call Summer time that is GMT + 1 hour.

HTH
          What you originally wrote is a fail because it doesn't make sense.

We do refer to times in other countries as GMT +1, GMT +2 etc. when we want to know what time it is in compared to the UK. Though it gets confusing when the clocks go forward as some foreign people forget that BST is not GMT.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

We do refer to times in other countries as GMT +1, GMT +2 etc. when we want to know what time it is in compared to the UK. Though it gets confusing when the clocks go forward as some foreign people forget that BST is not GMT.
            I would think most people here would say GMT to mean "the time in the UK", which includes the +1 in summer. Not correct of course, but then as you say it only really comes up when comparing with other countries and to say that France is GMT+2 would probably lead to people thinking you mean they're 2 hours ahead.

I notice this forum like most you choose GMT (London,Lisbon) and then also choose "apply DST".

It'd make more sense if we joined the same timezone as Europe, though I guess the nutcases would stomp their feet at that. Where my Dad lives in France is further west than most of the UK but is an hour ahead, which would mean lighter evenings, and would mean we're not being woken up by daylight at 5am in June.

Maybe we should just use UTC and have done with it.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
              Or anyone else I would imagine....
              Or any other light I would imagine....

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
                It's so cold that makes the GMT summer time a joke.
                18°C and sunny here in Switzerland. (Although Copenhagen was only 5°C this morning).
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  18°C and sunny here in Switzerland. (Although Copenhagen was only 5°C this morning).
                  If your intention is making envy you succeed.

In Lisbon it's around 15ºC, early in the morning was 10ºC windy and dark.

Yesterday was a compleat joke, rainy, windy, dark and maximum 13ºC COOOLD.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

You said that BST is GMT, not me.

Comment

Originally posted by Benny View Post
                      It's a sop to the Northern leper colony

Long overdue for doing away with.... & perhaps the Leper colony
                      Not till we've ditched Brum. Festering carbunkle full of nasal fookwits.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                      X