• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Longest train commute/ train in south east.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daily 1h20 min train into City Thameslink from Kent. 15 mins either end. £417 per month for the privilege. Coffee and the Metro in the morning. Generally have a kip going home.
    We got the Oystons out like we said we would

Comment

Driving is more controllable as if you take the train AND tube in SE you are likely to suffer some type of delay on average twice a week. Granted you will miss most of the problems if you can get to Clientco early.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
        I left the house at 4:30 this morning to get the 5:05 train from Manchester to London Euston. I'll stay over 3 nights and head home on Thursday evening, working from home on Friday. I know someone who commutes from Macclesfield to London daily but his company provide him with a first class season ticket (he's a perm, NLUK, don't have a coronary!). No chance I could/would bank roll a daily commute of that magnitude and if you're not doing first class I would imagine it would get too much for you after a while. Don't forget to including getting from Paddington(?) to wherever the London office of your client is in your commute.
        How much will the BIK be on a first class commuting ticket paid by the employer?
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
          How much will the BIK be on a first class commuting ticket paid by the employer?
          Looks like the cost is £21,484.00 p.a. excluding tube.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
            No idea. Not perm, don't care.

He looked rich enough to not worry about the BIK hit either.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
              Looks like the cost is £21,484.00 p.a. excluding tube.
              I read that as 'excluding lube'. Which, on reflection, sounds about right given the miserable bumming most train travel delivers.

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
                I read that as 'excluding lube'. Which, on reflection, sounds about right given the miserable bumming most train travel delivers.
                Like all bummings, it's only miserable if you approach it with the wrong frame of mind.

Comment

Like all bummings, it's only miserable if you approach it with the wrong frame of mind.
                  I see. Like shelling out >£20k to be on the receiving end, to pick an example entirely at random?

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
                    I see. Like shelling out >£20k to be on the receiving end, to pick an example entirely at random?
                    I would be more concerned that you get dumped in Macclesfield at the end of every day.

Comment

I would be more concerned that you get dumped in Macclesfield at the end of every day.
                      Fair point. Even Terry Waite got better treatment.

Comment

Working...
                      X