• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Longest train commute/ train in south east.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    I would be more concerned that you get dumped in Macclesfield at the end of every day.
    A much finer option than getting dumped in the dumps a stop before or after (Stoke or Stockport), I'm sure you'll admit.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      A much finer option than getting dumped in the dumps a stop before or after (Stoke or Stockport), I'm sure you'll admit.
      If you're making these kinds of choices in life, you need to think about how to get things back on track again.

Comment

If you're making these kinds of choices in life, you need to think about how to get things back on track again.
        You wouldn't make a choice of disembarking in Stoke or Stockport, I agree. There are some lovely villages around Macclesfield though.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          If you get dumped in Stockport you can phone a taxi to escape, but Stoke...
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

FFS waking up at 4.30? 4 hour commutes per day?
            That's not living, that's existing.
            Any commute more than an hour each way is not worth the candle IMO and would make me re-train/re-educate/move house/find another role.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
              Is that 1hr 45 door to door or is that just on the train?

I did 2hr 15 mins door to door last year for 3 months.

It was exhausting and that was a train that was always on time & never more than half full.
              Last gig was 90 mins door to door via train. Knackered me a bit but did for over 2 years....

Its 1-45 on train. So prob 20 mins home end and then whatever (30 mins?) on tube

Too much for every day...
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Stockport versus Stoke-on-Trent? Oof. Both stations have taxi ranks, Stockport has better transport links, though Stoke-on-Trent has better weather and nicer outlying areas. Plus it's got two professional football teams. And oatcakes.

Stoke-on-Trent wins.

Comment

It depends on the train line and working arrangements. I have done a similar commute, n the line into Marylebone, which is very civilised with what looks like refurbished Intercity 125 stock if you get the right train. When it's worked for me, I would do an hour's work on the train on the way down and an hour on the way back, to shorten my day on-site (10:00 to 16:00). I did have one client where that wouldn't work, so I took on an extra day's work spread over the week to use the train time profitably, but that was a bit of a killer, even if only for 6 months.

I would say that whatever you choose to do, you need a bit of a plan. How long are you going to do it for? Will you need to get some day's working at home, and if that's not a runner will you take some odd days off to keep sane? If you are coming back mid-week (e.g. Wed. night), can you arrange things so you start work early Wed. a.m. and leave early and then start work later Thu. a.m. and leave late? Also, you need to make sure the rate is right as getting up extra early to get the cheaper train is going to kill you. But having said all that... if you need to keep food on the table, you need to do what you need to do.
                  True enough. Dont think theres any work on train on the table. There is 1 day WFH at the moment with possibly 2/3 at home.

If this was the case then job done but not sure if 4/1 wfh is for me to be honest. It looks like its going to be VERY intense work with extra hours etc Rate is v good (but maybe not so if you work twice as long).

My family situation probably doesnt lend itself that well to being away more than a night or two either.

Pity. Its a good role but prob not for me.
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    FFS waking up at 4.30? 4 hour commutes per day?
                    That's not living, that's existing.
                    Any commute more than an hour each way is not worth the candle IMO
                    and would make me re-train/re-educate/move house/find another role.
                    This +1.

The 2 minute commute from the bathroom to the desk can be too much some days

In addition in another post PC mentions Accenture, I cannot see this working out well
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                      True enough. Dont think theres any work on train on the table. There is 1 day WFH at the moment with possibly 2/3 at home.

If this was the case then job done but not sure if 4/1 wfh is for me to be honest. It looks like its going to be VERY intense work with extra hours etc Rate is v good (but maybe not so if you work twice as long).

My family situation probably doesnt lend itself that well to being away more than a night or two either.

Pity. Its a good role but prob not for me.
                      1 day WFH is manageable, if you have some wriggle room to:

- Start late / finish late Monday and Wednesday
                      - Start early / finish early Tuesday and Thursday

Stay over Monday and Wednesday evening and WFH Friday. It also means that you are wrecked on Friday rather than the weekend.

Comment

Working...
                      X