• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Longest train commute/ train in south east.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Spepific reasons? P taking hours?
    Hours and 'culture'.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      I woke up at 7.30am this morning.The commute downstairs to the office was strenuous, one of the kinder left their toy car on the stairs. Nearly took me out I tell you.
      You actually walked? I often roll takes much less energy.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

You get used to it. Up at 545, in office by 8. Leave 4 or 430 - home by 530 or 6.

See the kids before the youngest goes to bed. Not a problem. .
        Actually that's a little sad.

Spend a lot of time throughout the day with mine, don't appreciate it until I read something like this.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Spend a lot of time throughout the day with mine, don't appreciate it until I read something like this.
          so PC taught you all the tricks of signing on?
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
            I left the house at 4:30 this morning to get the 5:05 train from Manchester to London Euston. I'll stay over 3 nights and head home on Thursday evening, working from home on Friday.
            Done that for quite a few years and don't miss it one bit but they wouldn't go for the WFH malarky. I used to catch that train each Monday - scoff my fry up and try to get some sleep. Leaving the house that early is crap as it means you have to be up at 4 - making Mondays a very long day. I used to have to be out for 4:20 and have one of the selection of local nutter taxi drivers who would ferry me into town.

I used to work in Geneva and it was a shorter and cheaper commute than virgin trains
            Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Probably not too bad compared to some. At least Im home most nights...
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Probably not too bad compared to some. At least Im home most nights...
                That's cool. Din't mean to be condescending. I hear those years with the little ones are the quickest to pass by.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
                  Done that for quite a few years and don't miss it one bit but they wouldn't go for the WFH malarky. I used to catch that train each Monday - scoff my fry up and try to get some sleep. Leaving the house that early is crap as it means you have to be up at 4 - making Mondays a very long day. I used to have to be out for 4:20 and have one of the selection of local nutter taxi drivers who would ferry me into town.

I used to work in Geneva and it was a shorter and cheaper commute than virgin trains
                  I'd fly down - it's only 35 minutes runway to runway - if it weren't for the fact that flights from Manchester to London all land at Heathrow.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

3 hours door to door each day (up to 2 days WFH in theory, although in practice I needed to be with the rest of the team most days so i'd head it to main site, or another office anyway), and it is tiring. Been doing it for 6 months and was planning to be on this project until the end of the year but called it a day and self benched from this Friday. I backfilled for me so leaving on good terms. For me though, it wasn't so much the travel that done for me, but the extra hours expected to be worked on top - definitely not smooth project, and all the extras just makes it unsustainable.

If work was more controlled then i could easily have stuck it out, but for me the work wasn't fun so easier to bail and look forward to a long hot summer
                    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

<snip>
                      Considering a role in London. 1hr 45 by train. Pricing is nuts - £216 for a one off return or £234 for a weekly season. I think every day would be bit mad but it might be worth doing the trek home once/twice a week.

Anyone do similar? Am I living in a fantasy world though expecting trains into/out of london at peak times to be not rammed full?

Bugger driving though - even google maps is telling me up to 4 hours for the drive in the morning...
                      In case it's useful - I know of a room in a shared house becoming available in a month's time. It's in Slough... which some will laugh at, but it's an 8 min walk to station and then a 21 min fast train to Paddington.

Comment

Working...
                      X