• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

At last

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At last

NHS costs cut will see prescription painkillers scrapped | Daily Mail Online

Blueprint to save the NHS: Dramatic drive to cut costs unveiled that will see dolling out of painkillers scrapped and GPs ordered to crack down on health tourists
    A dramatic drive to cut NHS costs has been unveiled in a Daily Mail exclusive
    The doling out of painkillers is one of the things to be scrapped in the new deal
    GPs will be ordered to crack down on health tourists using the health service
    Patients will also pay for their own indigestion pills and hayfever remedies
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

The NHS is fundamentally flawed because it is a centrally funded Soviet-style system and demand will always exceed supply.
    Tinkering around the edges will not work.
    We need a comprehensive insurance-based system along the lines of France or Germany.
    But sadly with 52% of the population being cretins, this realisation will never dawn.

That's why I want a hard Brexit, the resulting lack of funds will force the fundamental re-think that is necessary.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

"GPs ordered to crack down on health tourists"

Does it mean I will no longer be able to travel to Eastern Europe to get my teeth done? That is the kind of health tourism I've been doing for the last five years... Didn't realise I was such a burden for the NHS.
      You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

Comment

Scrapping of prescribed gluten free food for coeliacs will be tough on coeliacs on low incomes. It is intellectually dishonest to say that because:

'... the list of prescribable items [...] extends to digestive biscuits, pizzas and other products – there are legitimate questions to be answered.
        ..and to then draw the conclusion that all gluten free product prescribing should end.

Oxfordshire CCG took the decision in 2012 to restrict prescriptions to bread and flour only: http://consult.oxfordshireccg.nhs.uk...nsultationHome

Comment

The overhaul needs to look at the way Blair and Brown hamstrung the NHS in a variety of ways and fix it. For all the Labourites' moanings about the Tories screwing the NHS over, they're simply not playing well the bad hand that they were dealt by successive Labour governments and their failings.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
            Scrapping of prescribed gluten free food for coeliacs will be tough on coeliacs on low incomes. It is intellectually dishonest to say that because:

..and to then draw the conclusion that all gluten free product prescribing should end.

Oxfordshire CCG took the decision in 2012 to restrict prescriptions to bread and flour only: http://consult.oxfordshireccg.nhs.uk...nsultationHome
            I agree, I'm slightly uncomfortable with banning all Gluten free prescriptions. There may be situations where they may be valid. But ban asprin etc.

sounds like a sensible compromise.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Love how they put health tourists and prescription aspirin side-by-side. Ironically while the former gets all the political attention, I bet the latter costs far more. Paracetamol costs the NHS something like £8 IIRC as opposed to 30p in Tesco.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                I agree, I'm slightly uncomfortable with banning all Gluten free prescriptions. There may be situations where they may be valid. But ban asprin etc.

It's just a £22 million line item to someone.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Love how they put health tourists and prescription aspirin side-by-side. Ironically while the former gets all the political attention, I bet the latter costs far more. Paracetamol costs the NHS something like £8 IIRC as opposed to 30p in Tesco.
                  16p for 16*

Totally agree. There should be a number of things that people aren't too poor for; basically any item that's available from Tesco, etc for 50p or less.

*The fact that I've been married for over 15 years is pure coincidence, honest.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Some way of subsidising the patient's regular shop might work better but I'm not sure how that could work. Calculate the differential in shopping bills on average and issue vouchers? Issue the same prescriptions but only to people receiving other benefits, as an indicator who needs the help?
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X