• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Voters to have final say on brexit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    Hmm I personally would welcome an opportunity to address the division via a second ref. but I've made my bed and happy to lie in it.
    Where is your sense of fun?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
      Where is your sense of fun?
      Fun or schadenfreude?
      http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

I think NLUK has picked up the German sense of humour. You know - invading Poland, but only as a joke...
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
          Out of interest, if it is agreed that Article 50 is reversible, what is the objection to giving the UK electorate a referendum to choose between leaving on known terms and remaining?
          Because the only way to get a "good deal" in any negotiation is if both sides believe that the other side has a credible alternative.

Which is why the UK says : Well if we don't get a deal, we'll just go to WTO, and we won't be asking for permission from anybody.

And the EU says : Well we have four principles, Freedom of movement of people, capital, goods & services, which we won't compromise.

If the EU believed that the UK population could reject the agreed deal then they could deliberately hand out a tulip deal and hope it was rejected in a second referendum.

.... of course the problem with this approach is that there is potential for both sides ending up with a crap deal.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            An article by Tim Farron, a Liberal Democrat, in the Guardian.
            I decided to read it anyway. Made me laugh. Take this one "travellers having to pay a fee to travel to continental Europe". Of course, travellers from Europe would pay no fee to visit the UK. And it would be the Southern EU states which rely on tourism who would suffer.

5 minutes of my life I will never get back. I could have had a in that time.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              I decided to read it anyway. Made me laugh. Take this one "travellers having to pay a fee to travel to continental Europe". Of course, travellers from Europe would pay no fee to visit the UK. And it would be the Southern EU states which rely on tourism who would suffer.

5 minutes of my life I will never get back. I could have had a in that time.
              I didn't even read haha just the title I liked.

Comment

FWIW, given the division out there, maybe we should have a second ref.
                Why? In what way could a second divisive referendum possibly help matters?
                “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                  Why? In what way could a second divisive referendum possibly help matters?
                  Because then people vote on two knowns;

EU membership

Brexit deal

Comment

Because then people vote on two knowns;

EU membership

Brexit deal
                    But by the time that would take place it would be too late. It would be like arguing over which bus we missed.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                      But by the time that would take place it would be too late. It would be like arguing over which bus we missed.

I'm not so sure, I think there will be a moment where the genie might go back in the lamp.

Comment

Working...
                      X