• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The real reason for bremainer moans

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    No one, be it political parties, either governments or the people, want any kind of border between NI and the Republic. So who is going to force this? The EU? Any vote on unification would be a sectarian head count in Northern Ireland. The only anomaly would be a percentage of those who would very probably vote for a UI with all things being equal not doing so for fear of loss of jobs/prosperity.

I also forgot to mention the Common Travel Area within the British Isles.
    Yes the "evil" EU will force RoI to enforce it's border with a non-EU state - UK. So it's either a border between RoI and NI, or some kind of special zone status for NI and border between NI and the rest of the UK. None of this is desirable, but if no free movement and free trade deal is signed with the EU it is inevitable. UK wanted sovereignty and control of it's borders back, EU wants to control its borders too.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
      Yes the "evil" EU will force RoI to enforce it's border with a non-EU state - UK. So it's either a border between RoI and NI, or some kind of special zone status for NI and border between NI and the rest of the UK. None of this is desirable, but if no free movement and free trade deal is signed with the EU it is inevitable. UK wanted sovereignty and control of it's borders back, EU wants to control its borders too.
      There's been a Common Travel Area between the UK and RoI for nearly 100 years. That's not going to change. There might, just be, a customs border. For those that remember such a thing I understand it wasn't such a big anyway. The only danger I see would be from those who have ulterior motives, namely Sinn Fein, who might try and force a poll on unity. Given the bad feeling that such things obviously cause (!) I would suggest this is the real risk to peace in Northern Ireland.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
        I wasn't suggesting the EU is evil, just that it would only be on their instance that common ground can't be found between RoI and the UK. No one on either side is interested in a 'border'.

Comment

Working...
        X