• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

WTO rules

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    Does anyone know which developed countries rely solely on WTO rules?
    WTO rules in terms of tarrifs may not be an issue as the weak pound will make our goods much cheaper to sell abroad, and WTO rules will make anything that the EU sell to us more expensive, so agree not as bad as some predict, where it will hurt us is when the paperwork is not done correctly and we are back to lorries piling up in Dover again.

To get a trade deal we will need all 27 countries to agree, we have French and German elections this year and then we will need to agree the divorce deal (money we owe them) before trade negotiations start.

More likely we will get to that point in 2018 and all has to be wrapped up by Sept 2018 as that will allow until March 2019 to ratify, we could extend this but all 27 countries need to agree, which is very unlikely.
    Warning unicorn meat may give you hallucinations

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
      They are limp home mode. They keep the wheels turning, but not designed for speed and efficiency.
      They are perfectly designed for speed though
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by motoukenin View Post
        WTO rules in terms of tarrifs may not be an issue as the weak pound will make our goods much cheaper to sell abroad, and WTO rules will make anything that the EU sell to us more expensive, so agree not as bad as some predict, where it will hurt us is when the paperwork is not done correctly and we are back to lorries piling up in Dover again.
        What goods are those? Where do the raw materials for those goods come from? Who is going to pick the fruit for all the jam to be made for export?
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by motoukenin View Post
          More likely we will get to that point in 2018 and all has to be wrapped up by Sept 2018 as that will allow until March 2019 to ratify, we could extend this but all 27 countries need to agree, which is very unlikely.
          Using Croatia's accession to the EU as an example, this was sorted in 2014 but ratification by all member states is still not yet complete. As a result, Croatia has transitional arrangements to access the EU's single markets without being an official member as yet.

One poxy little region of Belgium nearly derailed CETA (one can argue whether CETA is a good thing or not).

But is "The EU is so tulip at getting things done, it is better to be in it?" really an argument?
          Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
            Using Croatia's accession to the EU as an example, this was sorted in 2014 but ratification by all member states is still not yet complete. As a result, Croatia has transitional arrangements to access the EU's single markets without being an official member as yet.

One poxy little region of Belgium nearly derailed CETA (one can argue whether CETA is a good thing or not).

But is "The EU is so tulip at getting things done, it is better to be in it?" really an argument?
            Think it was Tusk who said they wanted 6 months for ratification that's why he said we only had 18 months, but I think your arguments do support a WTO environment for the UK. I am not a big fan of the EU but to me its like tax, nobody wants it everyone moans about it but if nobody paid it then we would not be in a good position.

So I see leaving the EU as a short term pain that could cause massive problems for the UK if we don't handle it right even longer maybe, as I speak more than one language I am not as affected as most.
            Warning unicorn meat may give you hallucinations

Comment

Working...
            X