Lloyds of London Lloyds of London - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 11 to 20 of 22
  1. #11

    Godlike

    Mordac is a fount of knowledge

    Mordac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Civilisation-ish
    Posts
    9,078

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scooterscot View Post
    Lloyds do 89% of their business in the UK?

    I don't think so.
    And you'd be correct, it means they do 89% of their business in the rest of the world excluding the EU.

    (Assuming that 11% figure is accurate, anyway.)

    Edit: The Manc got there first, but Scooty has a better chance of understanding something if he reads it twice.
    Last edited by Mordac; 30th March 2017 at 13:39.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

  2. #12

    Godlike

    Mordac is a fount of knowledge

    Mordac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Civilisation-ish
    Posts
    9,078

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AtW View Post
    Yep, most of their business got to be international - all this will go to Brussels too.
    Well since you're now the World Authority On Absolutely Everything you'd better tell Lloyds that - they don't know about it yet.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

  3. #13

    My post count is Majestic

    AtW is a fount of knowledge

    AtW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    51,841

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mordac View Post
    Well since you're now the World Authority On Absolutely Everything you'd better tell Lloyds that - they don't know about it yet.
    What Lloyds knows better than me is %-tage of other business that they get by virtue of UK being part of EU, I reckon that percentage is much higher than 11% direct from EU, which is why they are setting up there and this is why a lot more than 11% of their business will flow via Brussels soon. I don't think it would take long before they book most of their business there.

  4. #14

    Fingers like lightning

    squarepeg is a permanent contractor


    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AtW View Post
    What Lloyds knows better than me is %-tage of other business that they get by virtue of UK being part of EU, I reckon that percentage is much higher than 11% direct from EU, which is why they are setting up there and this is why a lot more than 11% of their business will flow via Brussels soon. I don't think it would take long before they book most of their business there.
    Not necessarily. Being inside the EU doesn't work for a lot of companies for whatever reason, mainly regulatory. See Standard Chartered, for example. They are doing nicely not doing business in the EU. LoL are doing what all businesses with a significant portion of their income coming from the EU are doing, creating subsidiaries in the EU to handle the EU part of their business.
    You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

  5. #15

    Suffers Fools...Badly!

    shaunbhoy is always on top

    shaunbhoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Devon
    Posts
    29,853

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AtW View Post
    What Lloyds knows better than me is %-tage of other business that they get by virtue of UK being part of EU, I reckon that percentage is much higher than 11% direct from EU, which is why they are setting up there and this is why a lot more than 11% of their business will flow via Brussels soon. I don't think it would take long before they book most of their business there.
    Yes, but you are incapable of organising the purchase of furniture, so why should anyone take you seriously?

    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

  6. #16

    Fingers like lightning

    Chuck has more data than eek


    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Live in Devon. Work in London.
    Posts
    620

    Default

    Lloyds already have offices around the world to cater for local markets, including throughout Europe.

    Why is this news? More scaremongering nonsense.

  7. #17

    More fingers than teeth

    scooterscot is a fount of knowledge

    scooterscot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Anywhere that is not broken Brexit Britain
    Posts
    19,953

    Default

    How is it possible Lloyds can trade around the world whilst being based in the EU? What sorcery is this?
    “We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible. And we count these moments. These moments when we dare to aim higher, to break barriers, to reach for the stars, to make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that. Or perhaps we've just forgotten that we are still pioneers. And we've barely begun. And that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us.”

  8. #18

    Godlike

    Mordac is a fount of knowledge

    Mordac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Civilisation-ish
    Posts
    9,078

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AtW View Post
    What Lloyds knows better than me is %-tage of other business that they get by virtue of UK being part of EU, I reckon that percentage is much higher than 11% direct from EU, which is why they are setting up there and this is why a lot more than 11% of their business will flow via Brussels soon. I don't think it would take long before they book most of their business there.
    I doubt much, if any, of Lloyds business derives directly from the UK "being in the EU". They are the worlds largest specialist insurance & reinsurance market, and still the worlds largest shipping insurance market (by far). If you have an oil rig, or a cruise liner, or a fleet of aircraft to insure, you go to Lloyds. The idea that EU organisations will go "somewhere else" for such specialist insurance is fanciful and ridiculous - there isn't really anywhere else to go.
    There my be some tax and regulatory advantages gained by having a small base inside the single market, but it will only ever be a subsidiary of the London operation. I only spent about a year there, and it was a while ago, but I doubt things have changed much, given that it didn't change much in the previous 3 centuries.
    One thing has changed though, I heard they have banned drinking during working hours. That will cause a drop in business, especially for the pubs and wine-bars around Leadenhall Market. Those were the days...
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

  9. #19

    Fingers like lightning

    squarepeg is a permanent contractor


    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mordac View Post
    I doubt much, if any, of Lloyds business derives directly from the UK "being in the EU". They are the worlds largest specialist insurance & reinsurance market, and still the worlds largest shipping insurance market (by far). If you have an oil rig, or a cruise liner, or a fleet of aircraft to insure, you go to Lloyds. The idea that EU organisations will go "somewhere else" for such specialist insurance is fanciful and ridiculous - there isn't really anywhere else to go.
    There my be some tax and regulatory advantages gained by having a small base inside the single market, but it will only ever be a subsidiary of the London operation. I only spent about a year there, and it was a while ago, but I doubt things have changed much, given that it didn't change much in the previous 3 centuries.
    One thing has changed though, I heard they have banned drinking during working hours. That will cause a drop in business, especially for the pubs and wine-bars around Leadenhall Market. Those were the days...
    According to their official legend they started in a London caf... maybe they want to compete with Costa?
    You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

  10. #20

    Godlike

    Mordac is a fount of knowledge

    Mordac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Civilisation-ish
    Posts
    9,078

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    According to their official legend they started in a London caf... maybe they want to compete with Costa?
    The original Lloyds was indeed a coffee shop, but that was when your first name had to be Lord or Duke to afford a cup. Hence a cargo of coffee would be worth the equivalent of millions today. There was more money in insuring the coffee (and whatever else) than selling it.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •