• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexit DOOM™: 40% of games industry companies considering relocating

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    But can they hire UK people in the EU? Moving from the UK because a minority of their workforce are from the EU is saying they'd have to replace the majority of their workforce, surely?

The idea they'll suddenly have to lay off a proportion of their workforce seems unlikely. If it is going that way, why wouldn't you wait until you know for sure?
    They know one thing for sure--we're past the point of no return :-) It takes time to establish base in Europe. That's why many companies from different industries have already started moving so they are ticking along nicely in two years' time.

The EU will most likely offer them sweet incentives to employ local EU nationals so why would they want to employ Brits? Paris Region are already busy advertising at Canary Wharf station :-)

If game (or other) companies absolutely need Brits they will employ them in the UK via a subsidiary or they will employ those who have permanent residency in Europe at their new headquarters. I think British subsidiaries are going to be reduced to sales and marketing activities and development will move to Eastern Europe, Poland most likely. British-based game devs will now have their freedom to come up with something cool, free of the EU oppression.
    You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      They can move HQ to Ireland, pay 12.5% corp tax instead of 20% (plus all those new business taxes that Tory Scum are inventing on regular basis)

It's about a tipping point, when enough is enough - if my firm gets any tariffs on exporting services then we'd most certainly move HQ to Ireland, leave cost base in UK - savings in corp tax alone should make up for the hassle.
      Talking to parents at the lad's prep school the other day, I heard the same thing.
      I think it's gone beyond surveys and polls and stuff like that now, people are really moving businesses or part of businesses out.
      I know of at least one for sure, and 2 working on it - mid size, growing high tech companies.

Call it the Remainers Revenge
      Last edited by sasguru; 30 March 2017, 14:47.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        They can move HQ to Ireland, pay 12.5% corp tax instead of 20% (plus all those new business taxes that Tory Scum are inventing on regular basis)

It's about a tipping point, when enough is enough - if my firm gets any tariffs on exporting services then we'd most certainly move HQ to Ireland, leave cost base in UK - savings in corp tax alone should make up for the hassle.
        Or, you could move to France. The taxes are higher, but so is the quality of life and housing.

Or, if you want absolutely lowest tax rates, consider Hungary (9%) or Bulgaria (10%).
        Last edited by squarepeg; 30 March 2017, 14:41.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          I know of at least one for sure, and 2 working on it - mid size, growing high tech companies.
          With technology it's essentially no issue to open a satellite office anywhere on the mainland you feel like and hire the people you want. It's not a big story like Lloyds of Brussels; it's not about HQs or CT necessarily, but it could happen with many many small companies. Quite a few years ago now, but I worked with an Australian whose visa expired and we tried and failed to get him permission to continue to work in the UK. So he went back to Oz and set up an office for us and hired two more people.

In my online German lessons (usually 3 or 4 people per group) I keep encountering Romanian nurses. One said she's going to Germany next month to work; the others that they want to. Seeing as they speak reasonable English you have to wonder why Germany. I don't know for sure, but you have to think that maybe Brexit has put them off the UK. People who go on about "the skills we need" never seem to consider that people with "the skills we need" would much rather go somewhere where their status is certain, and they're welcome, than face the UK.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            With technology it's essentially no issue to open a satellite office anywhere on the mainland you feel like and hire the people you want. It's not a big story like Lloyds of Brussels; it's not about HQs or CT necessarily, but it could happen with many many small companies. Quite a few years ago now, but I worked with an Australian whose visa expired and we tried and failed to get him permission to continue to work in the UK. So he went back to Oz and set up an office for us and hired two more people.

In my online German lessons (usually 3 or 4 people per group) I keep encountering Romanian nurses. One said she's going to Germany next month to work; the others that they want to. Seeing as they speak reasonable English you have to wonder why Germany. I don't know for sure, but you have to think that maybe Brexit has put them off the UK. People who go on about "the skills we need" never seem to consider that people with "the skills we need" would much rather go somewhere where their status is certain, and they're welcome, than face the UK.
            Moving the HQ to the EU will become a necessity for those who depend on the EU money. That money will be given to EU-based companies, which means they will have to be either headquartered or 51%-owned by EU shareholders (see EasyJet).

Comment

It's a characteristic of the low IQ that they can't distinguish between the message and the messenger.
              That would explain your perennial state of bewildered confusion. Which is tragic if you discount the comic value it gives to the forum.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by diseasex View Post
                Tbh I already have had enough. Seriously thinking of changing country now. Sinking ship god damn it.
                Sydney seems peaceful, plenty of jobs and nice weather
                You'll hate it. The aussies have a low tolerance for gobby bitter w*nkers.

But don't give up on your dream, we'll have a party when you finally fook off.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

But a one-time client co of mine is moving abroad for exactly that reason - fear of not being able to get the staff (I have a permie job offer from them, subject to me moving - but no reason to go permie just yet )
                  And do Poundland offer much of a relocation package?

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    Seeing as they speak reasonable English you have to wonder why Germany.
                    Germany has got world class health care system which attracts foreign users who pay well for it, so knowledge of English is very big plus.

Comment

Originally posted by squarepeg View Post
                      Or, you could move to France. The taxes are higher, but so is the quality of life and housing. Or, if you want absolutely lowest tax rates, consider Hungary (9%) or Bulgaria (10%).
                      You need to know French in order to live properly in France.

Comment

Working...
                      X