Brexit DOOM™:  40% of games industry companies considering relocating Brexit DOOM™: 40% of games industry companies considering relocating
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 45

My post count is Majestic

AtW is a fount of knowledge

Default Brexit DOOM™: 40% of games industry companies considering relocating

"Two fifths of games companies based in the UK are considering relocating out of the country in the wake of Brexit, a survey has found.

The primary concern across the industry is over a loss in international talent from EU countries creating a skills shortage which 40% say could make them move some or all of their operations. Ukie, the industry trade body that carried out the research, found 57% of UK games companies employ workers from the EU, and that at those companies EU workers represent an average one third of all employees.

Some 98% of those surveyed believe EU nationals who have the necessary skills should be given a blanket right to work in the UK in the future. With a shortage of skilled UK candidates, barriers for EU workers wanting to live and work in the UK would have a negative impact on the industry.

According to Ukie’s latest market valuation, the UK is the sixth largest games market in the world in terms of consumer revenues. Consumer spend in 2016 reached £4.33bn, up 1.2% from the previous year. The country boasts more than 2,000 games companies, with 12,100 full-time employees."

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...ote-eu-workers

Better than AtW

sasguru - scorchio!

Quote Originally Posted by AtW View Post
    "Two fifths of games companies based in the UK are considering relocating out of the country in the wake of Brexit, a survey has found.

The primary concern across the industry is over a loss in international talent from EU countries creating a skills shortage which 40% say could make them move some or all of their operations. Ukie, the industry trade body that carried out the research, found 57% of UK games companies employ workers from the EU, and that at those companies EU workers represent an average one third of all employees.

Some 98% of those surveyed believe EU nationals who have the necessary skills should be given a blanket right to work in the UK in the future. With a shortage of skilled UK candidates, barriers for EU workers wanting to live and work in the UK would have a negative impact on the industry.

According to Ukie’s latest market valuation, the UK is the sixth largest games market in the world in terms of consumer revenues. Consumer spend in 2016 reached £4.33bn, up 1.2% from the previous year. The country boasts more than 2,000 games companies, with 12,100 full-time employees."

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...ote-eu-workers

Maybe they could hire vetran (sic), LondonManc, Original PM, GB9, Owlhoot et. al ?
    Oh wait ....
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

d000hg - scorchio!

Why would they not be able to hire these people from the EU after Brexit?
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    Urine is quite nourishing

Double Godlike!

LondonManc is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by sasguru View Post
    Maybe they could hire vetran (sic), LondonManc, Original PM, GB9, Owlhoot et. al ?
    Oh wait ....
    I'm neither a Brexiter nor a games programmer. Don't let that stop you continuing to talk absolute balls as usual though.

Yet again you seem intent to egg the ignorant AtW on who seems intent on spreading speculative doom about.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Double Godlike!

LondonManc is a fount of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by d000hg View Post
    Normal people understand that; assguru isn't normal. HTHBIDI
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

d000hg - scorchio!

Sasguru isn't the one generating the information, only reporting it. Why do the games companies think they won't be able to hire such people? If they are not educated then they may act as if it's true regardless and we get all the negative effects anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    Urine is quite nourishing

Banned

diseasex has more data than eek

Sasguru isn't the one generating the information, only reporting it. Why do the games companies think they won't be able to hire such people? If they are not educated then they may act as if it's true regardless and we get all the negative effects anyway.
    It will be easier for them to relocate to dublin. And have less hassle

Better than AtW

sasguru - scorchio!

Sasguru isn't the one generating the information, only reporting it. .
    It's a characteristic of the low IQ that they can't distinguish between the message and the messenger.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Lord of the Vectras

VectraMan - scorchio!

Nobody knows; that's the point. People here already moan about the numbers of programmers being let in; if they get their way IT will be off the approved skills list.

They definitely can hire these people from the EU from within the EU. So why stay in the UK?
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Better than AtW

sasguru - scorchio!

AtW's post is just a survey. But a one-time client co of mine is moving abroad for exactly that reason - fear of not being able to get the staff (I have a permie job offer from them, subject to me moving - but no reason to go permie just yet )
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal