Brexit: No talks with the UK before clear withdrawal terms, says France Brexit: No talks with the UK before clear withdrawal terms, says France - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 21 to 30 of 30
  1. #21

    Should post faster

    Lambert Simnel has more data than eek


    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    136

    Default

    Merkel, Tusk and Barnier have all said the same. Indicating it's just Hollande saying this is somewhat disingenuous.

    Frankly, the UK doesn't currently have the negotiators to do either the exit or the new trade agreement, so it was always just a gambit to suggest we wanted to do both at the same time.

  2. #22

    Fingers like lightning

    chopper is NOT a disguised employee


    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    998

    Default

    Now the EU says we can talk trade before we finalise the divorce...

    EU sets out Brexit negotiating strategy - BBC News

    The EU is simply reminding its member states who really calls the shots.

  3. #23

    Should post faster

    Lambert Simnel has more data than eek


    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    136

    Default

    I don't think that is actually a change in position. They are indicating there is a clear sequence, but are not going to be pernickety about completing the separation arrangements before starting on the future relationship discussion. It's all a bit of a red herring anyway - the UK just doesn't have the capacity to meaningfully do both at the same time. Anyone who suggests that it does is either intentionally misleading their audience or doesn't understand the extent of the work required and our current paucity of negotiators.

  4. #24

    Fingers like lightning

    motoukenin has more data than eek

    motoukenin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    528

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scooterscot View Post
    So much for the UK calling the shots. Speaks volumes of things to come.

    What's harder than diamond? Theresa Mayhem's Brexit of course.





    source: Brexit: No talks with the UK before clear withdrawal terms, says France - BBC News

    French and Germans are more concerned about elections right now, Brexit is not a major topic in Europe despite our constant fascination for the subject. They also have the Greek debt crisis to deal with in July so dont expect Brexit to go very fast until at least October this year when the German elections are over.
    Asking for the money to be sorted out before the trade negotiations is just good housekeeping for EU as they are well aware that a trade deal is never going to get through by March 2019.
    The divorce deal only requires 72% of countries to agree the trade deal requires 100% of countries.

  5. #25

    Fingers like lightning

    chopper is NOT a disguised employee


    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    998

    Default

    The point is, the EU aren't going to force our hand on the separation deal, agree to a vast sum of money of liabilities and sign the cheque before they start talking trade. Instead a substantial separation deal can be agreed in principal, along with the transitional trade deal which allows us to keep our current benefits (which you'd expect for all that money) whilst we discuss a future trade partnership.

    Then like I say over and over, we have GE2020 and that will change everything as it will allow an incoming government (most likely a Theresa May led Tory government) to set up its UK-EU agenda via its pre-election manifesto.

    The manifesto will set out remaining in the single market. The SNP, in its anti-Tory guise, will further demand its referendum on the basis that the wicked English Tory government are trying to force Scottish to stay in the single market against the clear wishes of the British people.

  6. #26

    Super poster

    The_Equalizer is NOT a disguised employee

    The_Equalizer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Back end of UK PLC
    Posts
    2,569

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chopper View Post
    The point is, the EU aren't going to force our hand on the separation deal, agree to a vast sum of money of liabilities and sign the cheque before they start talking trade. Instead a substantial separation deal can be agreed in principal, along with the transitional trade deal which allows us to keep our current benefits (which you'd expect for all that money) whilst we discuss a future trade partnership.

    Then like I say over and over, we have GE2020 and that will change everything as it will allow an incoming government (most likely a Theresa May led Tory government) to set up its UK-EU agenda via its pre-election manifesto.

    The manifesto will set out remaining in the single market. The SNP, in its anti-Tory guise, will further demand its referendum on the basis that the wicked English Tory government are trying to force Scottish to stay in the single market against the clear wishes of the British people.
    There is that slight feeling that the tide has turned for the SNP.

  7. #27

    More fingers than teeth

    scooterscot is a fount of knowledge

    scooterscot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Anywhere that is not broken Brexit Britain
    Posts
    19,553

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by motoukenin View Post
    French and Germans are more concerned about elections right now, Brexit is not a major topic in Europe despite our constant fascination for the subject. They also have the Greek debt crisis to deal with in July so dont expect Brexit to go very fast until at least October this year when the German elections are over.
    Asking for the money to be sorted out before the trade negotiations is just good housekeeping for EU as they are well aware that a trade deal is never going to get through by March 2019.
    The divorce deal only requires 72% of countries to agree the trade deal requires 100% of countries.

    Exactly.
    It's clear speaking with folks here Brexit is a non-issue, no one cares but the Brits here. Greece is a rounding error, pocket change, a side project if you will. The media seems to be blissfully ignoring how well Italy and Portugal, and even Spain (Spain Economy Minister Says Growth May Exceed 2.5% For Next 2-4 Years) are doing at the minute. Numbers that even the UK might envy.

    Only bad news is reported. Brexit is in the news a lot eh?
    “We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible. And we count these moments. These moments when we dare to aim higher, to break barriers, to reach for the stars, to make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that. Or perhaps we've just forgotten that we are still pioneers. And we've barely begun. And that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us.”

  8. #28

    Fingers like lightning

    chopper is NOT a disguised employee


    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    998

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scooterscot View Post
    Exactly.
    It's clear speaking with folks here Brexit is a non-issue
    And why would it be an issue for them? That's the point. They're also not saying "Oh I hope those Scots get to stay in the EU". They simply don't give a tulip because for the most part it doesn't affect anyone else. It is a British issue. I'm fairly sure the average German man on the German street wouldn't suddenly up his interest if some other country decided to bail out.

    Which is why the EU project is doomed. The vision that we all become one big nation doesn't work, because Europeans identify themselves with their own country's nationality first and that is what is important. Being railroaded into becoming European rather than British, German, French, Irish, Italian or Greek isn't going down particularly well. That Brexit is a non-issue in Germany is proof of that. It also means the man on the Frankfurt omnibus has no particular wish to dish out a Brexit punishment either.

  9. #29

    More fingers than teeth

    scooterscot is a fount of knowledge

    scooterscot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Anywhere that is not broken Brexit Britain
    Posts
    19,553

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chopper View Post
    And why would it be an issue for them? That's the point. They're also not saying "Oh I hope those Scots get to stay in the EU". They simply don't give a tulip because for the most part it doesn't affect anyone else. It is a British issue. I'm fairly sure the average German man on the German street wouldn't suddenly up his interest if some other country decided to bail out.

    Which is why the EU project is doomed.
    We agree except I disagree w.r.t to the EU, I say it'll only make the EU stronger. You always must protect the many, not the few. That thinking belongs with Star Trek, and let's face it many brexiters are in deep space with their thinking.

    It is encouraging the union thinks as a whole. In the U.K it is only ever London. That'll never work in the long run. I'll wager the UK project breaks apart first!
    “We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible. And we count these moments. These moments when we dare to aim higher, to break barriers, to reach for the stars, to make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that. Or perhaps we've just forgotten that we are still pioneers. And we've barely begun. And that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us, because our destiny lies above us.”

  10. #30

    Suffers Fools...Badly!

    shaunbhoy is always on top

    shaunbhoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Devon
    Posts
    29,684

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lambert Simnel View Post
    the UK just doesn't have the capacity to meaningfully do both at the same time. Anyone who suggests that it does is either intentionally misleading their audience or doesn't understand the extent of the work required and our current paucity of negotiators.
    And pray tell us what leads you to believe you somehow have insider knowledge of this?

    Let me guess, you are someone's PA in the Foreign Office.....

    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •