• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What goes around, comes around!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What goes around, comes around!

I really dislike Workplace bullies. The label is actually overused in my opinion. On the whole most people in the workplace who are accused of being bullies are either pushy people, someone a little ranty or stressed senior management who shout a bit, but can be cajoled.

Having gone back into a 'lower' level contract role from the senior management role I've had for the last number of years, I was amazed at how some peoples opinion changes. Some peoples view of your 'opinion' is based on how they perceive your role.

This for me is interesting, because I've worked my way up from a contract role the last few times to Senior Manager and then again to Director.

In month one, I bounced into a PM who is 'mates' with someone very senior. Initially I assumed they were a Snr Perm and I had made a classic bullish Faux Pas. A few days later I realised they were a contractor in an 'in their mind senior role'.

So far I have seen this idiot breach about 6 HR rules across insulting staff, bullying and making racist comments. One he absolutely laid into a colleague who he found out was gay and accused another of being on the take. He has made bad call after another, and seems to have no background in what he is supposed to deliver.

It appears he feels protected by his very senior boss & a few complaints have gone to nothing.

Since my first run in, I have now systematically cornered this snivelling, ex forces, got some training in IT & think I can shout / bully / snipe / escalate into a corner.

As a contractor the rule is to 'take the money and not get involved in politics', but I reckon that I've now gained a reputation as an up & coming player in the game, have now made myself invaluable, plus I've now lined up all the ducks, he doesn;t know what he;s doing and so I'm going to let him try it on with me again. He escalates on every little issue, but I feel I've now made it iron proof, so I'm going to let him escalate an issue on me which is going to backfire then I've got the *****!

Sometimes you can wait, sometimes it's worth giving someone the rope.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

In month one, I bounced into a PM who is 'mates' with someone very senior. Initially I assumed they were a Snr Perm and I had made a classic bullish Faux Pas. A few days later I realised they were a contractor in an 'in their mind senior role'.

So far I have seen this idiot breach about 6 HR rules across insulting staff, bullying and making racist comments. One he absolutely laid into a colleague who he found out was gay and accused another of being on the take. He has made bad call after another, and seems to have no background in what he is supposed to deliver.

Could be a number of people on here
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
      Could be a number of people on here
      I don't give a fook about the gig. It's easy.

But I do raise my head above the desk when I see some prick shouting / bullying some poor fella who doesn't deserve it.

Small pricky, my speciality hey OG.

Comment

when I see some prick shouting / bullying some poor fella who doesn't deserve it.
        Do you look in the mirror often?

Comment

But I do raise my head above the desk when I see some prick shouting / bullying some poor fella who doesn't deserve it.

I wasn't saying that, I was saying the prickish project manager could be plenty on here.

Sounds like he has rope and intends to use it himself anyway
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            Do you look in the mirror often?
            There is a big difference between losing your temper & shouting because you are frustrated with something (and later apologizing / or doing it in the heat of the moment & calming later) as opposed to being really aggressive / shouting & belittling for no reason (or because you are clueless / want to dominate someone & not recognizing it)

So yes, I can get frustrated and be a little shouty, I;m also one of the nicest helpful blokes you can meet.

When I meet a true ***** though, then yes, I admit I want to prod them with a pointy stick and see if they implode. Is that wrong?

Comment

I really dislike Workplace bullies. The label is actually overused in my opinion. On the whole most people in the workplace who are accused of being bullies are either pushy people, someone a little ranty or stressed senior management who shout a bit, but can be cajoled.

Having gone back into a 'lower' level contract role from the senior management role I've had for the last number of years, I was amazed at how some peoples opinion changes. Some peoples view of your 'opinion' is based on how they perceive your role.

This for me is interesting, because I've worked my way up from a contract role the last few times to Senior Manager and then again to Director.

It appears he feels protected by his very senior boss & a few complaints have gone to nothing.

Since my first run in, I have now systematically cornered this snivelling, ex forces, got some training in IT & think I can shout / bully / snipe / escalate into a corner.

As a contractor the rule is to 'take the money and not get involved in politics', but I reckon that I've now gained a reputation as an up & coming player in the game, have now made myself invaluable, plus I've now lined up all the ducks, he doesn;t know what he;s doing and so I'm going to let him try it on with me again. He escalates on every little issue, but I feel I've now made it iron proof, so I'm going to let him escalate an issue on me which is going to backfire then I've got the *****!

Sometimes you can wait, sometimes it's worth giving someone the rope.
              Tl; dr

Ffs get a life...you sound like some 18 year old.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                I wasn't saying that, I was saying the prickish project manager could be plenty on here.

Sounds like he has rope and intends to use it himself anyway
                I think it's important to be able to help them give them the rope, then pull it really tight later when they drop.

I really dislike people humiliating others in the office. Unfortunately that is my weakness, when I see it I will react and I have on more than one occasion over the years taken that person to task either verbally or physically. Not sure if that make me a bully or more of a freedom figher.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  Tl; dr

Ffs get a life...you sound like some 18 year old.
                  How we interact with other people is actually more interesting & important than sitting down & crunching numbers & portraying yourself as an intellectual. Sorry, Sas, you keep coming across as more autistic than my son & Brillo's combined.

Sas, you're not Canadian by any chance are you?

Comment

You didn't exactly jump to my defence, but then to be fair, I was implicit in nicking your test kit. Well, when I say "implicit" what I actually meant was "guilty as charged and send the fecker to the tower". As to your "admission" re the small pricky bit, we'll just leave it there shall we...
                    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
                    X