• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fail Britannia

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fail Britannia

Sometimes its good to step out of our parochial British bubble and see ourselves how others see us.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.ad9fd0b8a02f
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Sometimes its good to step out of our parochial British bubble and see ourselves how others see us.

You haven't stepped out of any bubble reading that malevolent rubbish, just slurped into a different liberal leftie bubble.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Is this the same Ishaan Tharoor that writes for The Independent and The Guardian?

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        You haven't stepped out of any bubble reading that malevolent rubbish, just slurped into a different liberal leftie bubble.
        Sas is a notorious race traitor.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
          Sas is a notorious race traitor.
          And there was me thinking he was just a wind up merchant.

Comment

Brits are hardly alone in harboring delusions of empire — consider, for example, the colonial nostalgia of France’s far-right nationalists or the Ottomania of Turkey’s ruling party. But the fantasy of Britain’s past collides almost farcically against Britain’s present.
            He seems to have left the USA under Trump off his list of nations harbouring delusions of Empire.

Comment

Not all others, thankfully (hopefully). I am very confident that harking back to those terrible times isn't what those who voted for Brexit voted for.

To dig up the atrocities of our forebears as a reason why it was a bad idea to leave Europe is a bit of tulipty perspective. The article was probably penned by Tony Bliar and fed to someone willing to take a handout.

If people want to focus on the past as a means to denigrate the UK, to look at the age of Empire as being a stick to beat us with, then I think we should do the same. I think we should start to write up about the atrocities of the Roman Empire - to brutalise the image of the Italians as rapists and wanton invaders, hell-bent on domination at the expense of everyone who stood in their path. It is a bit pathetic don't you think?

The Great Repeal Bill seems like a simple way to start with a very complex job. Pull the whole lot of existing EU law into UK law and then work from there to remove excessive red tape, remove the working rights of the proletariat, remove stupid EU law and unwind ourselves from the mess that we are in.

I don't see the UK as a global superpower, I don't want the UK to be part of a global superpower and that is why I was happy with the leave vote. So what if we lose some of the snotty financial services industry? I would rather have a poorer country than one that was part of the great EU experiment.

It is very easy for the remainers to say how badly it is all going, what doom is over the horizon, how all brexit voters are narrow minded bigots who dream of the days of Glory and did not think of the repercussions of their vote and how the Gov has no plan. But I am still happy to be getting out, happy to not be part of the corrupt EU scam. What some nitwit from the US thinks is the reason for it is neither here nor there. He has bigger political problems in his own country than we do.

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
                Not all others, thankfully (hopefully). I am very confident that harking back to those terrible times isn't what those who voted for Brexit voted for.

To dig up the atrocities of our forebears as a reason why it was a bad idea to leave Europe is a bit of tulipty perspective. The article was probably penned by Tony Bliar and fed to someone willing to take a handout.

If people want to focus on the past as a means to denigrate the UK, to look at the age of Empire as being a stick to beat us with, then I think we should do the same. I think we should start to write up about the atrocities of the Roman Empire - to brutalise the image of the Italians as rapists and wanton invaders, hell-bent on domination at the expense of everyone who stood in their path. It is a bit pathetic don't you think?

The Great Repeal Bill seems like a simple way to start with a very complex job. Pull the whole lot of existing EU law into UK law and then work from there to remove excessive red tape, remove the working rights of the proletariat, remove stupid EU law and unwind ourselves from the mess that we are in.

I don't see the UK as a global superpower, I don't want the UK to be part of a global superpower and that is why I was happy with the leave vote. So what if we lose some of the snotty financial services industry? I would rather have a poorer country than one that was part of the great EU experiment.

It is very easy for the remainers to say how badly it is all going, what doom is over the horizon, how all brexit voters are narrow minded bigots who dream of the days of Glory and did not think of the repercussions of their vote and how the Gov has no plan. But I am still happy to be getting out, happy to not be part of the corrupt EU scam. What some nitwit from the US thinks is the reason for it is neither here nor there. He has bigger political problems in his own country than we do.
                Have a round of
                His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
                  And there was me thinking he was just a wind up merchant.
                  No, he's a proper Volksverräter.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                    Have a round of
                    Bloody Admin's pet.

Comment

Working...
                    X