• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

As you were, stand down sas, blasterbates, & co - Brexit has been cancelled!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by diseasex View Post
    Nothing to offer? Withdrawing from EU will show you what it had on offer. Single market, peace, collaboration between neighbours, stability and prosperity. A group of 400m people feeling like being part of project that will prevent any wars and completely resolve any conflicts arising, like growing nationalism etc. You will get little of that now.
    But, apparently Brexit is a non-issue for people elsewhere in Europe. That tells me nobody feels like being part of the overreaching EU project. If we were part of it, surely ze Germans would be breaking down on the streets in tears for 15% of that project dropping out?

The EU's intervention in Ukraine didn't prevent any wars or conflicts now did it?

And nationalism is growing throughout Europe. That much is visible. It might not have majority support, but increasing support for Marine Le Pen and Geert Wilders shows that nationalism is there, it is growing, and heads are well and truly in the sand. So the EU project isn't curbing that.

The single market is a good thing but has too many conditions attached. I am not averse to the four freedoms myself, but the notion that because we are a supposedly prosperous nation that we should borrow extra money to send it to the EU to then send off to less prosperous nations for their own development is outrageous. The single market doesn't need a parliament building, a second parliament building to pacify the French, a national anthem, a flag or a 'court of justice'. And the single market doesn't need to be quite the insular fortress that it is. It really isn't open for business to anyone on the outside.

Conceptually, the European Union (or rather many of the institutions that make up the EU) is not a bad thing. It is all the poisonous crufty gravy at the top that we don't need.
    Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
      The EU's intervention in Ukraine didn't prevent any wars or conflicts now did it?
      I'm talking within EU. Just like your conflict with Spain on gibraltar

Conceptually, the European Union (or rather many of the institutions that make up the EU) is not a bad thing. It is all the poisonous crufty gravy at the top that we don't need.

The problem is you killed mosquito with bazooka!
      Last edited by diseasex; 31 March 2017, 10:49.

Comment

I'm after tough stance of EU on trade talks. Traitors should be punished. Campaign full of lies, and yet everyones playing still. So be it.

Decided yesterday that i'm slowly selling my assets over next year or 2 and leaving too. Country where kids get beat up in school for being polish is no place to raise my daughter
        Both campaigns were absolute garbage. Project Fear versus Project Dreamworld. Neither worthy of a vote.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I'm talking within EU. Just like your conflict with Spain on gibraltar

The problem is you killed mosquito with bazooka!
          Gibraltar is already outside the single market and has a hard border with Spain. Hmmmn.

A vote to leave was indeed use of force against mosquito. A vote to remain was a vote for leaving the mosquito alone. The EU is not capable of change, and Britain would be unable to get change from within.

There is a significant nationalist movement in Scotland after 300+ years of political union, so perhaps 40+ years of EU was a bit too fast?
          Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Nothing to offer? Withdrawing from EU will show you what it had on offer. Single market, peace, collaboration between neighbours, stability and prosperity. A group of 400m people feeling like being part of project that will prevent any wars and completely resolve any conflicts arising, like growing nationalism etc. You will get little of that now.

It's not a fundamental law of physics that in order to have peace and trade in Europe you must be a member of the EU but a set of political choices.

Europeans may have a shared history ... but we don't have a shared perspective. For the UK the EU is mainly about trade. It's never really been about closer integration and stability.

The EU was born out of the Second World War but the lessons learned from that experience were very different in each country. The UK was not smashed to pieces at the end as were France, Germany and Poland. It was broke but not broken. Whilst the Europeans learned that they had to de-militarise Germany and build a close allicance of countries. We learned that we need to stay strong and close the the US.

Trying to understand the BREXIT decision through a pro-European lens will not make any sense at all. You need to think about how the British Working Class view it. They are the people who died in a ditch to free Europe but they don't feel that they benefit at all from the EU or from wider globalisation.

You can call them cretins, racists and hurl any insult you like at them but it doesn't help you understand why people in Labour seats voted in large numbers to exit the EU.

Free Movment of People is the hot topic. If you are a skilled person in a rich/poor country it's great. You have a fantastic world of opportunity out there.

If you are a low-skilled person in a poor country it's great. Simply by moving 500 miles you immediately have an uplift in your living standards, you don't need to do anything else, don't need to reskill to benefit.

If you are a low-skilled person in a rich country it's awful. You cannot simply move to another country and get an uplift in living standards and not only that but your wages are kept in check through the arrival of people from the other countries.

I don't remember there being any debate about whether the UK should be opened up to Free Movement, they certainly were not prepared for it. The estimate at the time was it would bring in an extra 14k people a year. 300k came instead. The country and communities had not been asked if they wanted it and were not prepared for this at all.

Comment

I adored British . But now I don't.

I'm listening to LBC every day and every time european calls they are absolutely outraged. Yeah pissed like hell. Left EU for what reason ? Have few less stupid laws or have own stupid laws? You could have had them anyway. Like 0 hour contracts
              Doesn't seem to have done too well preventing war in Eastern Europe over the years.

I would suggest nukes are a better explanation for the absence of significant wars with major powers. Maybe the EU should claim responsibility for sunny days as well?

As we the people were never asked about the march towards an EU superstate many of us didn't feel like we were part of anything.

Nationalism is not a dirty word.

Unfortunately remaining part of the EU doesn't seem to have solved racism in other European countries.

I am sad about the surge in racism but many people are walking down the road or round the shop and finding they are the only people speaking English. The mass influx of eastern europeans has changed our society dramatically in 10 years. We constantly hear about the brits who move to Spain to retire funding themselves yet we have people coming here in far greater numbers undercutting the local workers. This will upset people but there is no excuse for taking it out on you or your loved ones.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Gibraltar is already outside the single market and has a hard border with Spain. Hmmmn.
                I thought Gibraltar was inside the single market but outside the custom's union. Could be wrong, though,

Comment

It was part of the deal. You get free market, big 400m ppl economy, growing eastern europe in return for access to your jobs you create partly based on that market. Now the deal is over.

The problem was your economy was too good. Jobs you created were more than locals could take. Hence influx.
                  Now you want that cake only to yourself. Not saying its necessary a bad thing, but at what cost it will happen is what worries me

Comment

It was part of the deal. You get free market, big 400m ppl economy, growing eastern europe in return for access to your jobs you create partly based on that market. Now the deal is over.

The problem was your economy was too good. Jobs you created were more than locals could take. Hence influx.
                    Now you want that cake only to yourself. Not saying its necessary a bad thing, but at what cost it will happen is what worries me
                    how would your country react if the same happened to you? Turkey & Africa may want to join soon.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Sounds like one big crate of sour grapes on your personal part as you can see your options being squeezed.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                      X