Bremoanors on this forum sound like modern day Lord Haw-Haws Bremoanors on this forum sound like modern day Lord Haw-Haws - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Posts 21 to 30 of 44
  1. #21

    My post count is Majestic

    vetran is always on top

    vetran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Come Friendly Bombs
    Posts
    31,361

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OwlHoot View Post
    What a load of garbage!

    The British in India built a huge railway network, and established the framework for a modern justice system and civil service, and democratic government, and thus the foundation of India's prosperity today.

    Even on the purely financial side, India was a net cost to the British Empire from about 1880 (according to Chancellor and PM William Gladstone). So for pretty much the last 70 years of British rule we were net contributors!

    If there was any tendency towards basket casery, it has been the Indians' tendency to breed faster then medicine and economics can keep up, and sadly and ominously that is much the same today!
    Don't forget they were so busy fighting amongst themselves when we arrived as traders in Elizabethan times.The East India Company didn't need to conquer them they just paid off the royalty (Mogul Empire) with some of the profits. Until 1857 when the French started interfering trying to take over (India really missed a bullet there imagine being a French colony) the Government had little involvement.
    "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

    I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

  2. #22

    Godlike

    snaw is too good to be a permie

    snaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    5,827

    Default

    I'm guessing the folks on this thread defending the British's Empires record in India voted Brexit. Strange that Chaps, it's not coming back no matter how much you want it too.

    Other than a few far right nationalists I think world opinion generally is Britain just voted itself into irrelevancy and quite likely economic suicide. Madness, but you'll get a blue passport back and I'll get to feel like I'm visiting a big pound shop when I visit.
    Last edited by snaw; 5th April 2017 at 00:16.
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

    Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

    That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

    Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

  3. #23

    Seriously Banned

    Troll is NOT a disguised employee

    Troll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Gods own Country
    Posts
    12,726

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snaw View Post
    I'm guessing the folks on this thread defending the British's Empires record in India voted Brexit. Strange that Chaps, it's not coming back no matter how much you want it too.

    Other than a few far right nationalists I think world opinion generally is Britain just voted itself into irrelevancy and quite likely economic suicide. Madness, but you'll get a blue passport back and I'll get to feel like I'm visiting a big pound shop when I visit.
    Naw I've seen attempts to link Brexit to a desire to re-invent the Empire but despite the benefits of the rule of law to its subjects there is no appetite to shoulder the burden of looking after third world countries again

    Rather the history of Singapore may be a better example
    culminating in Singapore's merger with the Federation of Malaya to form Malaysia in 1963. But social unrest and disputes between Singapore's ruling People's Action Party and Malaysia's Alliance Party resulted in Singapore's expulsion from Malaysia. Singapore became an independent republic on August 9, 1965.

    Facing severe unemployment and a housing crisis, Singapore embarked on a modernization programme beginning in the late 1960s through the 1970s that focused on establishing a manufacturing industry, developing large public housing estates and investing heavily on public education.

    By the 1990, the country had become one of the world's most prosperous nations, with a highly developed free market economy, strong international trading links, and the highest per capita gross domestic product in Asia outside Japan.
    Plus you being a twat and bed wetter of the highest order, only good for sniping from afar suggests we are better off without you

    HTH
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

  4. #24

    Godlike

    snaw is too good to be a permie

    snaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    5,827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Troll View Post
    Plus you being a twat and bed wetter of the highest order, only good for sniping from afar suggests we are better off without you

    HTH
    Aww thanks, high praise indeed from the weasel who hides behind a computer screen dishing out venomous bile to make up for his many inadequacies.

    I'll take that as a complement if that's your best shot, it sort of tickled my ankle.
    Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

    Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

    That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

    Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

  5. #25

    Better than AtW

    sasguru - scorchio!


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    35,972

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Troll View Post

    Plus you being a twat and bed wetter of the highest order, only good for sniping from afar suggests we are better off without you

    HTH
    Whereas a genius like you will obviously be an asset to this country.

    You still travelling to the arse end of nowhere, staying in crummy hotels, to get the low-level work for which you are qualified?
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

  6. #26

    Better than AtW

    sasguru - scorchio!


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    35,972

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    Don't forget they were so busy fighting amongst themselves ....
    You mean a bit like this? History goes in cycles, while we are busy tearing ourselves apart, India is growing at a rate that will see it triple its economy in your lifetime:

    https://www.spectator.co.uk/2017/03/...et-against-it/

    A disunited Kingdom... why Brexit Britain is as divided as Europe in 1914
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

  7. #27

    My post count is Majestic

    vetran is always on top

    vetran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Come Friendly Bombs
    Posts
    31,361

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sasguru View Post
    You mean a bit like this? History goes in cycles, while we are busy tearing ourselves apart, India is growing at a rate that will see it triple its economy in your lifetime:

    https://www.spectator.co.uk/2017/03/...et-against-it/

    A disunited Kingdom... why Brexit Britain is as divided as Europe in 1914
    yes they are growing but I suspect when the salaries rise the Locusts will move on.

    Eastern Europe is the go to place.

    Just because you lost the vote doesn't mean we are fighting amongst ourselves. Wait till Prince Harry sends bombardier AssSnob up against Prince William's light guard and you are maimed by the Princess Zara's royal dragoons then you will be the same situation as India was. The point is that we didn't take India we bought our way in, we fought to keep it.
    "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

    I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

  8. #28

    Better than AtW

    sasguru - scorchio!


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    35,972

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    yes they are growing but I suspect when the salaries rise the Locusts will move on.

    Eastern Europe is the go to place.

    Just because you lost the vote doesn't mean we are fighting amongst ourselves. Wait till Prince Harry sends bombardier AssSnob up against Prince William's light guard and you are maimed by the Princess Zara's royal dragoons then you will be the same situation as India was. The point is that we didn't take India we bought our way in, we fought to keep it.
    Blah blah. At some point in the not too distant future, when you are living in an insignificant rump UK, you Brexiters will realise you have voted the country into obscurity and irrelevance. Quite ironic given the title of this thread.
    No doubt you will find someone else to blame.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

  9. #29

    More fingers than teeth

    BlasterBates - scorchio!

    BlasterBates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    1922 Commitee
    Posts
    14,021

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sasguru View Post
    Blah blah. At some point in the not too distant future, when you are living in an insignificant rump UK, you Brexiters will realise you have voted the country into obscurity and irrelevance. Quite ironic given the title of this thread.
    No doubt you will find someone else to blame.
    ...and there will still be mass immigration


    I'm alright Jack

  10. #30

    Better than AtW

    sasguru - scorchio!


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    35,972

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlasterBates View Post
    ...and there will still be mass immigration


    I doubt it. There'll be nothing to come for.
    I suspect there'll actually be mass emigration on the Irish model of the 18-19th century.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •