• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Spain drops plan to impose veto if Scotland tries to join EU

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spain drops plan to impose veto if Scotland tries to join EU

This sheet just got real.

Gibratar and Scotland should hold joint independence referendums.

Spain has said it would not veto an attempt by an independent Scotland to join the EU, in a boost to Nicola Sturgeon’s campaign for a second independence referendum and the clearest sign yet that Brexit has softened Madrid’s longstanding opposition.

Alfonso Dastis, the Spanish foreign minister, made it clear that the government would not block an independent Scotland’s EU hopes, although he stressed that Madrid would not welcome the disintegration of the UK.

He also said Edinburgh would have to apply for membership, a process fraught with uncertainty that is likely to take several years. But asked directly whether Spain would veto an independent Scotland joining the EU, Dastis said: “No, we wouldn’t.”
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...in-eu#comments

Last edited by scooterscot; 2 April 2017, 07:56.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    This sheet just got real.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...in-eu#comments

I'm off to Greenwich. Need to help Spanish tourists take photos under the HMS Victory in a bottle outside the National Maritime Museum. Love to help them get the snaps they will be proud of ;-)
    You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

Comment

That would be a good idea if we thought Spain and the SNP would respect the results.

But we know they wouldn't.
      Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Whot like unelected Theresa not allowing democratically elected Nicola from executing a manifesto pledge?
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Whot like unelected Theresa not allowing democratically elected Nicola from executing a manifesto pledge?
          *sigh*

Here we go again.

You didn't moan during Sturgeon's 18 months
          Theresa May was elected to be an MP in accordance with any other MP. 35,453 people voted for her, 65.8% of people who voted in her constituency. 72.6% turnout.
          Nicola Sturgeon, on the other hand, only 15,287 people voted for her. 61.4% of people who voted in her constituency. A rather shameful 47.8% turnout.

(I don't know how Glasgow Southside translates into a Westminster seat, but interestingly I note turnout in Glasgow South was 65.9% - which just shows that the people of Glasgow are more drawn to voting in Westminster elections rather than Holyrood - make of that what you will).

In terms of leading their parties, Sturgeon was not voted in as leader of SNP, she was the only candidate. May, at least in the beginning, did manage to see off some rather poor opposition.

May's party, at least, has Majority support in Westminster. The SNP doesn't even have a majority of MSPs in Holyrood.

So Theresa May and Nicola Sturgeon are both elected, I'm not sure how you figure otherwise. Significant numbers of voters vote for a party at an election irrespective of who the leader is. e.g. voting SNP, not because they want independence, but because Scottish people had a real beef with Labour.

(Yes, I think Theresa May should go to the country, just like she said Gordon Brown should have done. I do think change of party leader does change the direction of government and so a new manifesto should be obtained. She needs to secure her own mandate. Also, I would not vote for a Theresa May led Conservative party, like I didn't vote Conservative in 2015. But unlike my statement in the previous paragraph, as a Labour voter ever since I could vote, I would not vote for a Jeremy Corbyn led Labour party. The dilemma I have now is where to waste my vote! There are plenty of people who believe May will call a General Election before March 2019. I also believe an independence referendum should occur, but not until 2020 or even 2021. The article in your original post does say that an independent Scotland wouldn't get automatic entry but would have to jump through the hoops - Scotland would not get Britain's opt outs. )
          Taking a break from contracting

Comment

https://dutchreview.com/news/interna...nt-annexation/

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
              *sigh*

Here we go again.

You didn't moan during Sturgeon's 18 months
              Theresa May was elected to be an MP in accordance with any other MP. 35,453 people voted for her, 65.8% of people who voted in her constituency. 72.6% turnout.
              Nicola Sturgeon, on the other hand, only 15,287 people voted for her. 61.4% of people who voted in her constituency. A rather shameful 47.8% turnout.

Oh oh someone doesn't know how first past the post system works! You had your chance to change it. Don't start moaning about it when it does not work in your favour

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
                I'm not sure how you figure otherwise.
                He does it via a combination of being thicker than a whale omelette, and having an inability to grasp facts that would be the envy of a deep sea slug.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                  He does it via a combination of being thicker than a whale omelette, and having an inability to grasp facts that would be the envy of a deep sea slug.

You accusing someone of not being able to grasp the facts. Hilarious
                  When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Spain's going to pay Scotland's bar bill?

Bloody Hell.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X