• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it worth joining IPSE

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it worth joining IPSE

Hi
    Not sure if this has been posted before, apologies if it is.
    My question is, is it worth joining IPSE? Other than the IR35 support, what else do they provide?
    If anyone has IPSE membership, how has it benefited you?
    Or are there any other similar organisations?

IPSE+ provides tax investigation insurance, jury cover and agency failure cover as well as IR35 insurance.

Many IR35 tax investigations start of as tax inspections for other things.

Other posters here have used the jury cover and agency failure cover.

There are other things like pension but IMHO you will find better value else where by using a SIPP with trackers.

You can put the expense through the company as long as you buy it in the company name but you can't claim corp tax against it, due to IPSE refusing to give it's membership list to HMRC for good reason.

Btw the only thing I've used a couple of times is their legal helpline.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Also, IPSE will either fearlessly represent contractor interests to government, or royally screw up the engagement with government, depending on your point of view.

Comment

Originally posted by wparkar View Post
        Hi
        My question is, is it worth joining IPSE? Other than the IR35 support, what else do they provide?
        I'm not using it. Useless expense imo.

Comment

Originally posted by wparkar View Post
          Hi

Besides the various insurance benefits, isn't there some country club in Hertfordshire one automatically joins and is entitled to chill out at as an IPSE member?

Not sure of the details, and this was two or three years ago, but I remember thinking and perhaps remarking here how handy this would be for Suity, for example, living in nearby Luton.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
            Also, IPSE will either fearlessly represent contractor interests to government, or royally screw up the engagement with government, depending on your point of view.
            I'm not sure there's much evidence of them having achieved anything at all. They've even changed their name to distance themselves from representing contractors' interests.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Join QDOS. Try Ben Surtees-Smith. Highly recommended.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                I'm not sure there's much evidence of them having achieved anything at all. They've even changed their name to distance themselves from representing contractors' interests.
                Indeed. And they bluntly refuse to answer any questions regarding how successful/unsuccessful that strategy has been. Some of us already know empirically, but the usual party line is trotted out when the questions are asked. The other stock answer is that it can't be discussed because of confidentiality.

I have long said it is a no brainer to be a member, but that time has IMO now gone. Look elsewhere is my advice. HTH.
                Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                  Besides the various insurance benefits, isn't there some country club in Hertfordshire one automatically joins and is entitled to chill out at as an IPSE member?

Not sure of the details, and this was two or three years ago, but I remember thinking and perhaps remarking here how handy this would be for Suity, for example, living in nearby Luton.
                  So you're saying you might bump into suity at the club?

Comment

The pros and cons are something you have to decide yourself but I still think it's worth it. There doesn't seem to be be many alternatives that represent the industry to the same degree...
                    Join IPSE

Comment

Working...
                    X