• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client asked if googled during test...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    They're going to find out anyway, and if you "puff yourself up" you end up wasting a day in some sort of assessment.
    they still pay me
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

They're going to find out anyway, and if you "puff yourself up" you end up wasting a day in some sort of assessment.
      How are they going to find out?
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        How are they going to find out?
        The fact that you did so well.

If it's something like an IKM test, some of the questions are extremely hard. Getting 99% on a C# test is only possible if you use materials. Each question has 25 permutations in their answers, so the chances of getting 5 of those hard ones right using educated guessing is extremely low.

Wouldn't be surprised if the report back to the vendor contained comments like "The pattern of answers is indicative of using source materials"

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post

If it's something like an IKM test, some of the questions are extremely hard. Getting 99% on a C# test is only possible if you use materials. Each question has 25 permutations in their answers, so the chances of getting 5 of those hard ones right using educated guessing is extremely low.

Wouldn't be surprised if the report back to the vendor contained comments like "The pattern of answers is indicative of using source materials"
          Some of the people I network with write some of the languages and tools I use. If they give a talk then I do a test within a couple of weeks of their talk then I'm going to do very well on the questions that their talk covers. So the client can incorrectly presume I Googled the answers to the hard questions when in reality it's a different case.

Anyway this is one reason I think tests like that are a waste of time. You are better of checking if the people you are hiring have problem solving abilities.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            If you've answered anything like PC you ain't gonna get it.
            Ok!!

Comment

When you do an online test the expectation is there are no bars. It would be pointless. They're just getting feedback to improve. It's like any exam where you are allowed to take books in.

Just answer the questions.
              Yes, some tests clearly mention in the beginning of test that to simulate work environment, they expect online reference to be used to complete the test!!!

Comment

Also some tests clearly mention in the beginning of test that to simulate work environment, they expect reference materials to be used during the test!!!

Comment

In the IKM test I did time was a factor, you wouldn't have time to look the questions up to get a really good score.
                  The test got progressively harder and moved from report building, metadata build, security, server build.

I believe I got 98%, either 1st or 2nd highest score ever at the time.
                  You would hope this would be a given, especially after working with the technology for 20 years.

I then used the test on potential candidates myself, it was very useful in assessing what they knew about.
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    Some of the people I network with write some of the languages and tools I use. If they give a talk then I do a test within a couple of weeks of their talk then I'm going to do very well on the questions that their talk covers. So the client can incorrectly presume I Googled the answers to the hard questions when in reality it's a different case.

Anyway this is one reason I think tests like that are a waste of time. You are better of checking if the people you are hiring have problem solving abilities.
                    Looks like these guys are bit different. My friend replied saying as advised in the beginning of test, he used some online reference. Now the client is asking if he used reference to a particular section of test!!!

Looks like he need to tell them off!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Darren_Test View Post
                      One of my friends recently done an online test and now the client came back and asked couple of questions...Not sure how the online time bound test went as no results given after the test...

How tests went?
                      If results could have better if prepared differently..?
                      Had access to internet/Google and unix command line during test..??

What's client trying to do here with these questions..?? What kind of response expected..??
                      I don't see any problem.
                      The important thing here is if he is able to search what he needs to find the solution.

Comment

Working...
                      X