• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No signed 'future' Brexit deal within two years, says Theresa May

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    Immigration is at 600K which is a big difference to 250K and I'd be interested to know where this 250K figure comes from - it's not as if the population of the UK was dropping at the time, nor now.
    No, but it was ageing. I suspect the 250k figure came from knowing the number of people reaching retirement age each year, and then making the assumption that they all retired on the spot. Which of course they didn't.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

You've forgotten to mention how many fewer countries were part of the EU then. The answer is in double figures.
      Mass immigration started several years before the Eastern European countries joined the EU and the rise in immigration was fairly small from before to after they joined, obviously employers favoured EU citizens as it was less bureacratic to get them so the proportions shifted.

If you leave the EU this does not effect migration it just shifts it in favour of non-EU countries.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
        No, but it was ageing. I suspect the 250k figure came from knowing the number of people reaching retirement age each year, and then making the assumption that they all retired on the spot. Which of course they didn't.
        Exactly, if you check the working population it is actually remarkably stable.

My home town has the exactly the same working population as it had in 2000 but the retired population has increased very significantly. The growth of the population of the town is purely due to the increase in the number of pensioners.

This is the problem.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          Exactly, if you check the working population it is actually remarkably stable.

My home town has the exactly the same working population as it had in 2000 but the retired population has increased very significantly. The growth of the population of the town is purely due to the increase in the number of pensioners.

This is the problem.
          Once again proving that Logan's Run is a better solution than Brexit.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

There seems to be a bit of a divide here. I think you'll find that CUK remainers don't live in the UK, planning to leave and/or weren't born here.
            Are you saying that all the people on CUK who voted to remain either do not live in the UK, are planning to leave or were not born here?

(Just want to clarify, since the leave group are well known for saying things, then claiming they didn't mean them.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              Once again proving that Logan's Run is a better solution than Brexit.
              +1
              Given the choice between a world run by millennial snowflakes and a trip to Dignitas, well it's not really a choice is it.
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                Are you saying that all the people on CUK who voted to remain either do not live in the UK, are planning to leave or were not born here?

(Just want to clarify, since the leave group are well known for saying things, then claiming they didn't mean them.
                Well let's look at the evidence:
                Obviously not British: AtW, Diseasex
                Already left the UK: Scooty, Darmstadt
                Already left reality: Sas
                (Feel free to chip in with any others)

That looks like a majority, of sorts, and as we know, it only takes a majority.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                  Mass immigration started several years before the Eastern European countries joined the EU and the rise in immigration was fairly small from before to after they joined, obviously employers favoured EU citizens as it was less bureacratic to get them so the proportions shifted.

If you leave the EU this does not effect migration it just shifts it in favour of non-EU countries.
                  Agree very strongly. If "Call me Dave" had done something about non EU migration then Brexit would not have happened.

At least the vote got rid of him....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Agree very strongly. If "Call me Dave" had done something about non EU migration then Brexit would not have happened.

At least the vote got rid of him....
                    *cough* Teresa May was Home Secretary...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                      That looks like a majority, of sorts, and as we know, it only takes a majority.

Majority <> all.
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X