• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh Dear: This is going to be interesting vat on private school fees

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    Most private schools are 'charities' and charities are VAT exempt.
    Correct. They do not operate for profit rather for the betterment of society. Fees come out of after tax income.

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
      I agree, impose VAT on private school fees and maybe even increase VAT to 25%. I find it deplorable that there are rich IT contractors on here who probably binge on champagne every weekend who do not want to dip into their pocket to enable a poor kid to have a proper meal. I cannot wait for Corbyn to get into power so we can see the poor souls stuck on the bottom rung get a leg up. The Tories need to be bullied out of power for the next decade or so.
      You could give up contracting and pay more tax, I'm sure that would help too.

Comment

Originally posted by ruasonid View Post
        You could give up contracting and pay more tax, I'm sure that would help too.
        I'm sure FA always declares himself inside IR35

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          On a par with hospital?
          Criminals cook for each other and most are learning their bulk catering skills.

Hospital food varies. Some patients get microwaved meals or sandwiches of a reasonable standard.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Oh Dear: This is going to be interesting vat on private school fees

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
            The reason why you have poverty in this country is because the education system totally sucks. by only paying attention to the poorly performing pupils and not to the bright ones parents are forced to send their children to private and grammar schools. Many other countries do not have a private sector at all and are outperforming the Uk in education on all levels, basically because there are different streams of education for poor medium and high performing pupils, not forcing the same GCSE's on everybody
            Hungry kids are being let down by their parent(s).

The scum dross who choose stella over fresh fruit, and quarter of an ounce of skunk over books and reading to their kids are the problem.
            http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
              Hungry kids are being let down by their parent(s).

The scum dross who choose stella over fresh fruit, and quarter of an ounce of skunk over books and reading to their kids are the problem.
              You can get children's books from the local library for free. They are in fact one of the age groups who use libraries most as libraries have special events for them.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                Criminals cook for each other and most are learning their bulk catering skills.

Hospital food varies. Some patients get microwaved meals or sandwiches of a reasonable standard.
                If you live in the right part of the country, the trick with hospital meals is to ask for the Asian vegetarian menu. I worked in a hospital where word got round , so the hospital tried to restrict the menu to patients with a recorded ethnicity of Asian, but as ethnicity is defined by the patient, white patients started stating their ethnicity as Asian, so the hospital opened up the meals to everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by ruasonid View Post
                  Correct. They do not operate for profit rather for the betterment of society. Fees come out of after tax income.
                  The school might be non-profit but that doesn't necessarily mean people aren't making serious money from it.

I hadn't realised most private schools were registered charities though. I'm sure it's easy for a government to circumvent that obstacle if it wanted to.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                  X