Blow to the UK as European Medicines Agency prepares to leave Blow to the UK as European Medicines Agency prepares to leave
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 58
  1. #1

    Better than AtW

    sasguru - scorchio!


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    35,972

    Default Blow to the UK as European Medicines Agency prepares to leave

    With Brexit underway, EU drug agency prepares to leave London | Reuters

    This is genuinely bad news not only for the jobs lost, but also for the knock-on effects to drug approval and regulation.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

  2. #2

    Godlike

    milanbenes 's job has never been outsourced


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    7,975

    Default

    "The EMA, the largest EU body in Britain, has been based in London since its birth in 1995 and it moved into new premises in Canary Wharf on a 25-year lease less than three years ago. "

    they've been in the building in canary wharf since 1995 on a 25 year lease, so that's 22 years of the lease gone.

    they need to find a now location and move within 2 years, ie, the Article 50 timeline

    well it least they won't lose too much money through leaving the lease 1 year early

    could have been worse for them they could have extended the lease recently !

    great shame for the UK, it is a prestigious role in the Pharmaceutical industry to house the pharma approval group, and to lose that, and of course lose membership of Europe's FDA is going to have knock on effects

    oh well

    Milan.

  3. #3

    Old Greg is my bitch's bitch

    northernladyuk is a fount of knowledge

    northernladyuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Working the streets of your imagination
    Posts
    9,459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sasguru View Post
    With Brexit underway, EU drug agency prepares to leave London | Reuters

    This is genuinely bad news not only for the jobs lost, but also for the knock-on effects to drug approval and regulation.
    Stop talking the economy down. This is great news because it will mean less upward pressure on London house prices, and I bet there are plenty of shady foreigners working there, who will have to leave when their EUSSR bureaucratic watchdog master crawls away from the free air of England.
    Where there's muck there's brass.

  4. #4

    Better than AtW

    sasguru - scorchio!


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    35,972

    Default

    Well either we create our own regulatory and approval body (or enhance the existing powers of MHRA) with all the concomitant duplication of effort and wasted time leading no doubt to delays in approval of vital drugs or we accept the European approvals process without any input into it.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

  5. #5

    Banned

    diseasex has more data than eek


    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,990

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladyuk View Post
    Stop talking the economy down. This is great news because it will mean less upward pressure on London house prices, and I bet there are plenty of shady foreigners working there, who will have to leave when their EUSSR bureaucratic watchdog master crawls away from the free air of England.
    the economy will balance itself out through inflation and lower tax revenue.
    Also freed medial specialist staff will start creating startups in London and economy will be boosted

  6. #6

    My post count is Majestic

    vetran is always on top

    vetran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Come Friendly Bombs
    Posts
    31,365

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sasguru View Post
    Well either we create our own regulatory and approval body (or enhance the existing powers of MHRA) with all the concomitant duplication of effort and wasted time leading no doubt to delays in approval of vital drugs or we accept the European approvals process without any input into it.
    question is WDWDBEU?
    "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

    I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

  7. #7

    Faqqed Off

    TheFaQQer is a fount of knowledge

    TheFaQQer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    36,488

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by milanbenes View Post
    "The EMA, the largest EU body in Britain, has been based in London since its birth in 1995 and it moved into new premises in Canary Wharf on a 25-year lease less than three years ago. "

    they've been in the building in canary wharf since 1995 on a 25 year lease, so that's 22 years of the lease gone.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

  8. #8

    Fingers like lightning

    squarepeg is a permanent contractor


    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by diseasex View Post
    the economy will balance itself out through inflation and lower tax revenue.
    Also freed medial specialist staff will start creating startups in London and economy will be boosted
    Medical startups will have to have their products and services approved in the EU, if they'll want to sell them over there. Meanwhile, Samwer bros will be making hay on the idea.
    You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

  9. #9

    Better than AtW

    sasguru - scorchio!


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    35,972

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    He's a tape changer, he doesn't do arithmetic.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

  10. #10

    My post count is Majestic

    vetran is always on top

    vetran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Come Friendly Bombs
    Posts
    31,365

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    no they have been in London for 22 years ago.

    They moved to Canary wharf 3 years ago on a 25 year lease so 22 years to go.

    It does rather seem like a political rather than practical decision.
    "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

    I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •