• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Supreme Court upholds term-time ban on holidays

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Maybe you should charge entry to your house?
    I hear you're still charging entry.

Urban Dictionary: assguru

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      What I don't understand is how schools can send children on school trips - skiing, LEGOLAND, etcetc where there is no educational value. But families cannot do that themselves.

It's a good question, and I don't know the answer, but I'm sure we can all agree that it has nothing to do with the teachers wanting a free holiday on the slopes.
      England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
        It's a good question, and I don't know the answer, but I'm sure we can all agree that it has nothing to do with the teachers wanting a free holiday on the slopes.
        Absolutely.
        You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
          My daughter just came back from a ski trip. Every night the kids could do what they wanted as teachers in the bar.

To be fair, she goes to a catholic school so drinking is compulsory.

Comment

Everything is so controlled these days.

When I was a kid, we'd go to France every June for 2 weeks. Never did me any harm - quite the opposite in fact because I learned a lot about French culture.

Of course, back then, there were no SATs or testing of any description really.

That said, during my O' Level years, my parents didn't take me away during term time as that would have had an impact.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
              I hear you're still charging entry.

Urban Dictionary: assguru
              Is that any safer for work than his posts?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
                Everything is so controlled these days.

When I was a kid, we'd go to France every June for 2 weeks. Never did me any harm - quite the opposite in fact because I learned a lot about French culture.

Of course, back then, there were no SATs or testing of any description really.

That said, during my O' Level years, my parents didn't take me away during term time as that would have had an impact.
                In other words your parents were sensible.

Loads of people went on holiday in primary school during term time. Most went to visit relations abroad and the school were fine with it as it was "cultural".

The ones they weren't so happy with and kicked off about were the ones who went to places for a proper holiday. Then considering a girl in my class drowned and died when she was 6 as she was on a term time holiday I can see their point.

In secondary school people simply didn't go unless a relation died. Then parents usually came in to have meetings with the Head of Year and Form tutor.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  remember once in secondary school, the fattest kid our year went to Pakistan for 6 weeks during term time, came back skinny as a rake

why this option isn't pursued to combat child obesity I don't know . . .

p.s. within 3 months he was fat again

Comment

Originally posted by filthy1980 View Post
                    remember once in secondary school, the fattest kid our year went to Pakistan for 6 weeks during term time, came back skinny as a rake

why this option isn't pursued to combat child obesity I don't know . . .

p.s. within 3 months he was fat again
                    Nowadays that would be child abuse.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      Is that any safer for work than his posts?
                      It's suitable for your line of work.

Comment

Working...
                      X