• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Supreme Court upholds term-time ban on holidays

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My parents took me out of school for the first two weeks of sixth form. Did it do me any harm? I can't say but I remember failing a maths test because part of it was on something I simply didn't know because I was in Cyprus when the rest of the class was learning it.

Should the teacher have held up the rest of the class just to teach me? Imagine teaching a class of 30 and trying to do that when every week someone or other is away.

I found A level maths quite hard (even though I got an A - always wonder if that was a mistake) and maybe that was why.

As for the snowflake 'I can't afford to take them out of term time' well that was my only foreign holiday growing up ; mostly we'd spend a week in a tent in a miserable part of Wales, and that also did me no 'arm.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Dodgy headline. The Supreme Court upheld the ban on an unauthorised term-time holiday. BIG difference. But a difference between a major story and a minor one, so let's ignore the facts and go for sensationalism.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

School my kids are at have a fine of 60 quid per child per day.

However the chavvy feckers who do take the kids out of school in term time just wont pay it and the school does nothing.

So it really just hits the honest middle classes.

From a personal perspective the odd day here and there makes no difference however the school should not be expected to do anything with regards extra or catch up lessons.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          My parents took me out of school for the first two weeks of sixth form. Did it do me any harm? I can't say but I remember failing a maths test because part of it was on something I simply didn't know because I was in Cyprus when the rest of the class was learning it.

Should the teacher have held up the rest of the class just to teach me? Imagine teaching a class of 30 and trying to do that when every week someone or other is away.

I found A level maths quite hard (even though I got an A - always wonder if that was a mistake) and maybe that was why.

As for the snowflake 'I can't afford to take them out of term time' well that was my only foreign holiday growing up ; mostly we'd spend a week in a tent in a miserable part of Wales, and that also did me no 'arm.
          That's one of the worse times to take a kid out. Up until kid is in their public exam years anything they miss they can make up.

Oh and I've known kids who have moved area in July as the family has moved house. Can't really penalise the parents as they are between schools.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            I found A level maths quite hard (even though I got an A - always wonder if that was a mistake)
            You are not alone in leaping to that conclusion.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
              School my kids are at have a fine of 60 quid per child per day.

However the chavvy feckers who do take the kids out of school in term time just wont pay it and the school does nothing.

So it really just hits the honest middle classes.

From a personal perspective the odd day here and there makes no difference however the school should not be expected to do anything with regards extra or catch up lessons.
              I have never been described that way. Thank you for your naivety.

Comment

I had 2 weeks out of school when my lil brother was cast in a BBC period drama, circa 1979, and we all went on location. Loved it. No questions asked in those days.
                His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                  I had 2 weeks out of school when my lil brother was cast in a BBC period drama, circa 1979, and we all went on location.
                  Oliver Twist??

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                  X