• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice needed: Psychological Problem

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice needed: Psychological Problem

Afternoon All,

I've got a psychological problem, and where better to seek advice in such situations than that hive of knowledge experience, CUK....

so, what's the problem ?

Books

more precisely, technical books

The last time I purchased a technical book was about 4 years ago.

However, for the 14 years preceeding that, I built up quite a library, which was utilized well supporting my contracting career.

I've got a about (original retail price) 10k eur worth of technical books, going back to PHP3, WAP, Java 2, SAP R/3 3.1h and en going forward through Oracle 7, 8, 9, DB2, SQLPlus, Unix, all sorts of SAP subjects etc

And here's the psychological problem, I should really get rid of the majority shouldn't I, even, shudder, throw them away, as they won't burn, because I won't use them or need them, who uses PHP3 or Oracle 8, or Java 2 or WAP or the old SAP stuff ?

But, and here's the problem, I have a psychological problem to dispose of the books.

What to do ?

What do you do ?

Milan.

Give them to charity shop.

If they are anything like the books i had for uni they are now so out of date as to be worthless.

Comment

I sorted through them and boxed them up, and popped them in the boot of my car.

Then, after driving around with them for 6 months, I took the box back out of my car and placed it in the spare room.

Eventually got brutal when we moved house and hired a skip and ditched loads of stuff.

Comment

This isn't a psychological problem.

HTHBIDIVVM
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
          I've got a about (original retail price) 10k eur worth of technical books, going back to PHP3, WAP, Java 2, SAP R/3 3.1h and en going forward through Oracle 7, 8, 9, DB2, SQLPlus, Unix, all sorts of SAP subjects etc
          No .NET books?

Comment

I put mine in the recycling.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
              Give them to charity shop.

If they are anything like the books i had for uni they are now so out of date as to be worthless.
              I wouldn't even burden charity shops with them, as I doubt any out of date IT book will sell even for pennies, especially as you can download most online free (officially or otherwise).
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                No .NET books?
                You don't need them these days:

2017-04-05 Announcing a unified .NET reference experience on docs.microsoft.com

(although I suppose that is a reference site, rather than something like ".NET for Dummies")
                Last edited by OwlHoot; 6 April 2017, 14:25.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Afternoon All,

I've got a psychological problem, and where better to seek advice in such situations than that hive of knowledge experience, CUK....

so, what's the problem ?

Books

However, for the 14 years preceeding that, I built up quite a library, which was utilized well supporting my contracting career.

And here's the psychological problem, I should really get rid of the majority shouldn't I, even, shudder, throw them away, as they won't burn, because I won't use them or need them, who uses PHP3 or Oracle 8, or Java 2 or WAP or the old SAP stuff ?

But, and here's the problem, I have a psychological problem to dispose of the books.

What to do ?

What do you do ?

Milan.
                  They will if you wrap them in magnetic tape.

Comment

Afternoon All,

so, what's the problem ?

Books

What to do ?

What do you do ?

Milan.
                    I dumped a load of old technical books. Two weeks later I had a call from a hospital that lost its data on an old system that no-one has any clue about; I had thrown the manual out but luckily I had floppies with an electronic copy.
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                    X