• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Syria - bit quick off the mark?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    But why would Assad risk such predictable opprobium and retaliation when he's winning?!
    Because he's done it before with impunity, and wants to terrorise his opponents and anyone near them.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      But why would Assad risk such predictable opprobium and retaliation when he's winning?!
      You're asking me to explain the rationale of a murderous madman.

Here's one answer for you.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/06/w...in-attack.html

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        He's often right, it's just that he's either so impractical and idealist it doesn't help, or wrong on so many other issues that it doesn't help.

I think this (pacifism) is one of the areas JC is strongest personally.
        I have no doubt whatsoever that we'd be perfectly fine if JC was in No.10 and we were ever threatened. He'd probably invite ISIS round for tea and cakes or something. (Mordy in full-on sarcasm mode, for the avoidance of doubt).
        And I notice his "Stop the War" lot only ever protest at anything we* do, never at anything anyone else** does.

*definition of "we" being the UK, NATO and US for the purpose of this post.
        ** definition of "anyone else" being anyone who falls outside of the above criteria.
        His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
          I have no doubt whatsoever that we'd be perfectly fine if JC was in No.10 and we were ever threatened. He'd probably invite ISIS round for tea and cakes or something. (Mordy in full-on sarcasm mode, for the avoidance of doubt).
          And I notice his "Stop the War" lot only ever protest at anything we* do, never at anything anyone else** does.

** definition of "anyone else" being anyone who falls outside of the above criteria.
          Well of course the civilized west is always the war mongerer.

The uncivilized fuzzy wuzzies are paragons of virtue.....

Comment

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...omb-Assad.html

Comment

Daily Mail AND Piers Morgan. Overdosing on grains of salt there.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                Daily Mail AND Piers Morgan. Overdosing on grains of salt there.
                Its like the holy trinity for the numerically challenged.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post

They can't protest about what others do because they know very little about it.

They could educate themselves by talking to people whose relations are in the countries or have escaped the countries concerned, but that would mean finding out and realising conflicts aren't straight forward.

In regards to Syria due to the factions involved we should leave well alone. If we bomb one side then we strengthen the other and both are terrible towards Syrian citizens.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

In regards to Syria due to the factions involved we should leave well alone. If we bomb one side then we strengthen the other and both are terrible towards Syrian citizens.
                    Absolutely. There are numerous groups fighting Assad and most are not fighting for Western style democracy and equality. The Assad regime, given that he is nothing like as bad as SH, might well be the best option for the people. If he is pushed out the chances of any stable government are very slim, a greater likelihood is a continuous civil war, probably worse than Iraq. Europe won't just see migrants fleeing the current war areas but many areas of the country.

We had the best of both worlds last week, not being involved and avoiding being blamed for everything as with Iraq. Hopefully Trump's action really was a one off to deter a supposed use of chemical weapons and not part of a plan to remove Assad.

Guide to the Syrian rebels - BBC News
                    Last edited by xoggoth; 9 April 2017, 08:19.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X