• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cryptocurrency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

“ 72-year-old woman who wanted to pay for her four grandchildren to go to private school lost almost £65,000 to a cryptocurrency scam and fraudsters who claimed to be from the City watchdog.

Amanda Briggs, whose name has been changed, became interested in cryptocurrency following an episode of the BBC show Dragons’ Den in which an entrepreneur was looking for investment in his cryptocurrency scheme. “Some of the panel invested as a trial and were impressed with the return received so I looked into [similar] investment opportunities in 2019,” she said.

After her research she invested some money from a property sale with a company called Extick. She withdrew a small portion early on to check that the investment was genuine and, satisfied that it was, topped it up to a total of almost £42,000 in the following weeks from her bank account and a Barclaycard credit card.”

'I lost GBP65k to crypto scammers and now my grandchildren can't go to private school'

FFS scams on Dragons Den now!

Comment

immer etwas
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Impressive gains for Bitcoin at the moment (10% up this week, 6% up today, currently $14.5K) .. feels a little like winter 2017 again.
        With key resistance levels broken the previous all-time peak of $20K certainly appears in reach now.

March 16, 2020
        $4,974/Bitcoin

March 19, 2020
        $5,863/Bitcoin
        "You'all had yer chance.... yeh be warned, now we have lift off", scootscot on this forum, page 789

August 1, 2020
        $11,615/Bitcoin
        "Bitcoin Hits $11.6K for First Time in a Year as Traders Expect $15K" cointelegraph.com

October 21, 2020
        $12,197/Bitcoin
        "PayPal onboard 2day, USA buy/sell/wallet only at the moment." SunnyInHades on this forum, page 802

Comment

Poopers fantasy short is now worth sheet

Comment

I'm shorting Bitcoin am I now? Glad someone keeps up to date.

Sold a chunk at $12k, but never shorted it.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by SunnyInHades View Post
              Impressive gains for Bitcoin at the moment (10% up this week, 6% up today, currently $14.5K) .. feels a little like winter 2017 again.
              With key resistance levels broken the previous all-time peak of $20K certainly appears in reach now.
              You're not wrong, feels like 2017 winter all over again. Millionaries coming out telling us how much they've bought, BBC news articles - all contrarian indicators of a overbought market.

This chart alone is the only reason I gave up so much of my holding at $12k. I'm expecting a large correction (probably correlated with the stock market). The price action support (orange line) was broken in March and and since acted as resistance. $14.5k is the next resistance we're currently testing. Price must push up and through to reclaim support. Otherwise it back down to ~$9k and quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                You're not wrong, feels like 2017 winter all over again. Millionaries coming out telling us how much they've bought, BBC news articles - all contrarian indicators of a overbought market.

This chart alone is the only reason I gave up so much of my holding at $12k. I'm expecting a large correction (probably correlated with the stock market). The price action support (orange line) was broken in March and and since acted as resistance. $14.5k is the next resistance we're currently testing. Price must push up and through to reclaim support. Otherwise it back down to ~$9k and quickly.

Move the line slightly to where it makes more sense, hits more actual price points - and you have a different viewpoint:

Well well look at me, I'm a TA expert now.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                  Move the line slightly to where it makes more sense, hits more actual price points - and you have a different viewpoint:

Well well look at me, I'm a TA expert now.
                  The beauty of TA is that it is in the eye of the beholder. If the chart does not support your cognitive bias, choose a different set of points.

You might as well base your trades on your daily horoscope.
                  First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

How long does bitcoin (and any other crypto using similar blockchain algo method) have before quantum computing forces the algo to increase complexity to such a degree that China secure enough percentage of the mining capacity to take full control?

According the latest season of Billions, a crypto mining operation already requires so much leccy that it risks tripping the neighbourhood circuit breaker from overloading.
                    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

deleted
                      Last edited by Paralytic; 5 November 2020, 11:25. Reason: duplicate

Comment

Working...
                      X