• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cryptocurrency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's a chunk of change. Will the dump it on the market or hodl?

Bitcoin: $1bn seized from Silk Road account by US government

More than $1bn (£772m) in Bitcoin linked to the notorious Silk Road website has been seized by the US Department of Justice (DoJ).

Earlier this week, crypto-currency watchers noticed about 70,000 bitcoins being moved from an account believed to be linked to the illicit marketplace.

Silk Road was an online black market, selling everything from drugs to stolen credit cards and murderers-for-hire.

It was shut down by the US government in 2013.

The sum is the largest amount of crypto-currency seized to date by the Department of Justice.

On Thursday, US Attorney David Anderson confirmed that the officials had seized the crypto-currency assets.

"Silk Road was the most notorious online criminal marketplace of its day," he said in a statement.

"The successful prosecution of Silk Road's founder in 2015 left open a billion-dollar question. Where did the money go?

"Today's forfeiture complaint answers this open question at least in part. $1bn of these criminal proceeds are now in the United States' possession."

The Internal Revenue Service's Criminal Investigation unit said it used third-party company to analyse Bitcoin transactions that had been executed by Silk Road.

This led it to an address belonging to "Individual X", who is alleged to have hacked the funds from the marketplace.

Law enforcement officers in turn took control of the sum on 3 November, and the DoJ claims the funds are now subject to forfeiture.

"Criminal proceeds should not remain in the hands of the thieves," said IRS special agent Kelly Jackson.

In 2015, Bitcoin seized from a different wallet associated with Silk Road was sold at auction by the US government.

Silk Road creator Ross Ulbricht is currently serving two life sentences in prison after being found guilty of money laundering, computer hacking, and conspiracy to traffic narcotics.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      A massive bear? I might say you're a massive bull.

I don't care left or right, up or down. I measure probability of reward versus risk. For months now AMD is flashing 'red' alarm bells.
      The post exposes your lack of knowledge and logic.

So back to where it was last week... Mmmm okay - let's party.
      Day trader.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
        The post exposes your lack of knowledge and logic.

Day trader.

Price action is trading in a range. This is called 'Consolidation' after a sell off. After a rally upward it is called 'distribution'. $60 is very clearly the bottom of that distribution range we're now in. The top being around $96. It is not about knowledge, it is about being scientific. Looking at the facts, observing, recording, asking new questions. Rinse and repeat. It's not rocket science.

Here is your chance to be scientific. Notice what happened to price action following the overbought condition (green column)?

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Price action is trading in a range. This is called 'Consolidation' after a sell off. After a rally upward it is called 'distribution'. $60 is very clearly the bottom of that distribution range we're now in. The top being around $96. It is not about knowledge, it is about being scientific. Looking at the facts, observing, recording, asking new questions. Rinse and repeat. It's not rocket science.

Here is your chance to be scientific. Notice what happened to price action following the overbought condition (green column)?
          I'm afraid your bias is screaming out, nothing about your process is scientific, you think it is because you incorrectly conflate it with mathematics.

The scientific approach is to test an hypothesis (in this case your TA) and measure the results. Sadly for you, you've been 100% wrong on AMD, you emotionally (and with great bias) continue to make the same erroneous hypothesis in light of mounting evidence of the fallibility of your TA.

That isn't a chance to be scientific, in fact the exact opposite. It's painfully obvious but you just don't have the mental fortitude to see it.

I'd say the forum is participating in scientific method, the experiment surrounding your stupidity is reproducible and the conclusion more convincing than natural selection at this point: stock market doom, AMD, crypto, ETH short etc.

Comment

A difference of opinion is great - if others have a different one from you, accept it. If we all shared the same opinion how would we notice risk or reward?

This branch of mathematics is probability mathematics. It is not my personal bias. I'm measuring the risk of loss versus the probability of reward, nothing more. That all starts will looking left, into history.

I've got leafs to sweep. I may be gone some while...
            Last edited by scooterscot; 6 November 2020, 13:13.

Comment

I made statements of fact, it's not mere opinion that your track record is abysmal, the assertions in your posts can be cross referenced with reality, e.g. AMD calls, ETH shorts. YOU put the claims out there, YOU don't like the fact time hasn't been kind to them.

Comment

A difference of opinion is great - if others have a different one from you, accept it. If we all shared the same opinion how would we notice risk or reward?

This branch of mathematics is probability mathematics. It is not my personal bias. I'm measuring the risk of loss versus the probability of reward, nothing more. That all starts will looking left, into history.

I've got leafs to sweep. I may be gone some while...
                It's not opinion though is it - we have evidence via multiple threads that your 'calls' are mostly wrong. This is fact.

If you want to go probabilities, toss a coin instead and you're more likely to be correct than you have been using your current methodology.

As for your method of measuring risk and reward, that may be the case, but what you're not doing is then scientifically measuring the success of your method. You have a method to measure probability of stocks moving, but you're failing to measure how good that method is.

You're fooling yourself that you know what you're doing because the $20k 'training' you have wasted has convinced you so.
                I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

He's still trolling the AMD thread when it's up at 84. He's got it wrong for a good year and it's all there in black and white yet he's STILL posting. Anyone with any common sense would have just left it.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    He's still trolling the AMD thread when it's up at 84. He's got it wrong for a good year and it's all there in black and white yet he's STILL posting. Anyone with any common sense would have just left it.
                    He's an attention seeker, desperately looking for confirmation from online strangers
                    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                      He's an attention seeker, desperately looking for confirmation from online strangers
                      Absolutely this. He is a troll, and worse still has a narcissistic need to go around giving unsolicited financial advice on a forum in which he has otherwise no useful information to provide.

This is an IT contractors forum. I can't actually recall any post of ScattyScot where he has helped someone or taken an interest in an IT/Ltd/Umbrella etc pertinent thread.

Best to just ignore anything he posts from now on. Eventually his ego will wither and die and go to some other forum to haunt.

Comment

Working...
                      X