• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cryptocurrency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ever had a friend who claimed a 'little too much on an insurance claim? Of course you haven't because you're not that kind of lady...many people do though. That's fraud that was allowed by an insurance company because they dont investigate all claims. Any insurance companies in my pension? I expect so. Without the input from pension funds I bet theyd check more claims to reduce costs. On the face of it...my pension has contributed to fraud. As has everyone else's.
    I'm sure if we dug deeply enough into many top flight pension investment funds you'd find lots of companies who have enough dirt that we can confidently say they dont wash with Daz.
    Your friendly neighbourhood VirtualMonkey - Not giving financial advice since...well...ever.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      And all transactions satisfy KYC (know your client) laws?

Your pension fund will have all paperwork, so they are ok
      If i gave you 10 quid cash....KYC?
      You do understand the blockchain is peer to peer like that don't you?
      Your friendly neighbourhood VirtualMonkey - Not giving financial advice since...well...ever.

Comment

Know Your Client does not apply to 10 quid one off transactions, even though if I knew it was from a person suspected of money laundering then I would not take it, just in case.

Comment

Latest News on AMD | Cointelegraph

"Crypto proof-of-work mining is performed with graphics processing units that are a major product of AMD, which is why AMD greatly benefited from the cryptocurrency outburst of the last several years. AMD’s products are used for Bitcoin mining as well as for other cryptocurrencies. AMD has also participated in cryptocurrency development."

Last edited by stonehenge; 3 July 2019, 18:53.

Comment

Know Your Client does not apply to 10 quid one off transactions, even though if I knew it was from a person suspected of money laundering then I would not take it, just in case.
            Love it when you answer your own questions.
            Yes, the scope is different. What about a £10k loan from a parent? Big enough yet? 100k? 1million.? Has to be declared but kyc? I think not. Cant imagine a parent requiring a child to formally submit info for insecure storage by the goverment.
            While I have to admit I'm enjoying this blowing off of steam after a 12 hour day at work...seriously...is this the best youve got?
            Do we go back to your original article post and read that the scope of this is 'retail' investors? They're not proposing a derivative ban from what I read. Institutional investors can still deal in these markets...its just your spin on a poorly thought out proposal from a service based in the uk...who is desperate to stay in good graces with the US.
            I seem to recall calling you out about this before

Comment

Of course you wouldn't, sweetheart...none of us would. But how about a pint in the pub? Would that be ok? Jog on ( apologies to Jog on )
              Last edited by VirtualMonkey; 3 July 2019, 18:59.

Comment

Originally posted by stonehenge View Post
                Latest News on AMD | Cointelegraph

"Crypto proof-of-work mining is performed with graphics processing units that are a major product of AMD, which is why AMD greatly benefited from the cryptocurrency outburst of the last several years. AMD’s products are used for Bitcoin mining as well as for other cryptocurrencies. AMD has also participated in cryptocurrency development."

Awesome. Comedy that writes itself. Thanks AtW. I have 4 kids so rarely feel like I'm winning these days. Youve brought thst feeling rushing back. I mean that..thank you. Send me your bitcoin address and I'll drop you a tip...once you've sent me all your key data... KYC and all that.
                Last edited by VirtualMonkey; 3 July 2019, 19:27.

Comment

If the FCA wants to protect retail investors from themselves, they'd need to ban an awful lot of stuff.

AIM penny stocks
                  2x, 3x, 5x leveraged ETFs
                  CFDs
                  Spread betting
                  Investing in a single Nasdaq tech stock
                  etc.

As I know from painful experience, there are a multitude of ways to lose all your money.

Comment

I'm currently heavily invested in gold and I reckon BTC is a lot more ethical. Both forms of mining use a lot of energy but at least BTC can use renewable electricity, and it doesn't scar the planet, nor exploit or risk the lives of mine workers.

In the early days of BTC, it may have been used significantly in illegal activities (dark web) but I doubt that's the case now.

I bet the % of the $200Bn BTC market, that's involved in crime, is minuscule. Probably no worse than cash, gold, diamonds.

Comment

Originally posted by stonehenge View Post
                      BTC can use renewable electricity
                      It can. It may do so. It may not.

At the moment renewable electricity is still growing. If there wewre no bitcoin several coal fired power stations would be closed down.

Or we could divert their output to powering air conditioners to help cool the planet.....

Comment

Working...
                      X