• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cryptocurrency

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PhiltheGreek View Post

Didn't see this earlier when I posted same news in a more appropriate thread.
    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
      Didn't see this earlier when I posted same news in a more appropriate thread.
      3 minutes earlier FFS

Comment

March 2020 - the last time you'll be able to buy Bitcoin for under $10k

If not I'll sell all my BTC and buy AMD shares.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Handshake HNS

DNS, your days are numbered. This project is getting a lot of attention in... never mind. Suffice to say... we're tracking developers, potential to disrupt centralised systems, and how decentralised storage will share a coming lookup authority. This project be like buying a stake in BTC when it was trading for a $1.

Handshake
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            If not I'll sell all my BTC and buy AMD shares.
            Mods!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              Mods!
              Rockers!

You're all off them.
              Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
                Rockers!

You're all off them.
                And medications...

Comment

Germany recognises Bitcoin as a legal financial instrument

- you can't tax something that does not have the legal status of money - so much win.

In brief
                  Germany has provided legal clarity on the status of Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies.
                  It has published five characteristics of a cryptocurrencies.
                  Cryptocurrencies are not to be confused with electronic money.
                  The Federal Financial Supervisory Authority (BaFin) of Germany has officially defined cryptocurrencies as financial instruments, providing further regulatory clarity. This makes it easier for those spending cryptocurrencies and will give some relief to businesses built around them.

According to the translation of BaFin’s press release published on March 2, cryptocurrencies are now classified as the “digital representations of value” that have the following characteristics:

Not issued or guaranteed by any central bank or public body;
                  Don’t have the legal status of currency or money;
                  Can be used by individuals or legal entities as a means of exchange or payment;
                  Serve investment purposes;
                  Can be transmitted, stored and traded electronically.
                  Germany recognizes Bitcoin as a legal financial instrument - Decrypt

Comment

I see private eye has coined the term Craptocurrency.

Comment

Next Bank of England Governor warns investors against Bitcoin

Better sell my Bitcoins.... BoE printing paper to infinity and beyond obviously has more intrinsic value.

Am starting to think BoE advice is a contrarian indicator.

The next-in-line Bank of England Governor, Andrew Bailey, expressed his strong aversion to cryptocurrencies, particularly Bitcoin, to the members of Parliament in London on Wednesday when he said investors could lose all their money to Bitcoin investment.

Andrew Bailey is scheduled to take on the coveted position of Bank of England Governor on the 17th March 2020. He takes over the responsibilities from existing Governor Mark Carney, who shared somewhat positive views about cryptocurrencies.

Earlier this year, the outgoing BOE chief said that he is keeping an open mind to the whole idea of Facebook’s controversial project Libra and would allow the stablecoin to enter the British market following rigorous regulatory inspections.

However, the upcoming Governor has not only expressed his hostility to cryptocurrencies but also strongly advised investors against Bitcoin investment. Bitcoin has been hyped and rather failed to attract the attention of investors worldwide, he said. In his speech, he issued a warning. Invest in Bitcoin and lose all your investment.

If you really want to go ahead with Bitcoin investment, I urge you to weigh the pros and cons before making the call carefully. Bitcoin has no intrinsic value, thus rendering it a shaky investment option, Bailey said authoritatively.

Bailey, who has been the chief of the UK’s Financial Conduct Authority since 2016, had also advised against dealing in cryptocurrencies way back in 2017 when Bitcoin was about to give its all-time best performance by peaking twenty thousand US dollars ($20,000). Back then, he also dismissed the idea of Bitcoin being a currency by calling it a highly volatile commodity that runs on fixed supply and speculations.

However, despite being denounced by several influential figures, including Bailey and renowned Bitcoin critic Peter Schiff, the asset managed to give the best performance last year and was named as the most valuable investment option, surpassing gold and stocks. Thus, it may not be a wise idea to call off your Bitcoin investment just yet.
                      Next Bank of England Governor warns investors against Bitcoin | Cryptopolitan
                      Last edited by scooterscot; 5 March 2020, 09:33.

Comment

Working...
                      X