• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Its all the fault of brexit.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Ahem - From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheddar_cheese

The term "Cheddar cheese" is widely used, but has no Protected Designation of Origin within the European Union. However in 2007, a Protected Designation of Origin, "West Country Farmhouse Cheddar", was created and only Cheddar produced from local milk within Somerset, Dorset, Devon and Cornwall and manufactured using traditional methods may use the name
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I want to know where the 40% of cheddar exports that don't go to the UK end up.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        I want to know where the 40% of cheddar exports that don't go to the UK end up.
        Mainly on toast

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          Because that one isn't protected, being more of a general name. Tesco sell some very nice Canadian Cheddar.

The good news is now we're out of the EU, Cornish Pasties and Melton Mowbery pork pies can be made in China and shipped in.
          Yes, if we change our laws to repeal that particular piece of EU legislature... is that not how it works, all the EU laws as of the day we leave apply until they are specifically changed?
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

The Cheddar cheese from Cheddar Gorge is cave matured.

Now, I don't know if that has any effect on its quality or whether it's just a gimmick that helps to swell the coffers of local industry courtesy of the multitudinous visiting Brummies who take a rainy day out from their beach holidays at Weston Super Mare.

Either way, it's darn good cheese.

And if you're ever visiting, bang opposite is an ice cream parlour where they serve ice cream caricatures of figures in popular culture.

I last had the Donald Trump with a big orange candy floss combover.

Comment

Originally posted by Bacchus View Post
              Mainly on toast
              in your belly
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                Yes, if we change our laws to repeal that particular piece of EU legislature... is that not how it works, all the EU laws as of the day we leave apply until they are specifically changed?
                Only if a bilateral agreement was reached with the EU to recognize the protection of products carrying the EU protection. The EU has already negotiated this with a number non-EU countries but only for specific products.

In the UK they would still be protected assuming that legislation is retained, but it would become UK specific. There would be nothing stopping someone selling Cornish Pasties in the EU under that name as they would no longer be subject to protection under EU law.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  It's EU protected brands. If we're not in the EU, none of the UK brands will be part of the EU protected brands list. So we need a new law. Also the other 27 members, or EEA/EFTA members (I assume they're included) also don't have to respect the restriction on UK brands.

But it does mean we can start making Champagne and selling it to the rest of the world.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

But it does mean we can start making Champagne and selling it to the rest of the world.

I'm all for designation of origin.

Without it, Oirish cheddar would be allowed to go on sale as Cheddar and I would have no way of distinguishing the genuine article from a low quality, culturally appropriated interloper.

Comment

It's EU protected brands. If we're not in the EU, none of the UK brands will be part of the EU protected brands list. So we need a new law. Also the other 27 members, or EEA/EFTA members (I assume they're included) also don't have to respect the restriction on UK brands.

Does that mean "Vauxhall" will no longer be protected, and they can make them in, say, France?
                      That's a rather cavalier attitude if you ask me. Viva UK - that's a mantra of mine.
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X