• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My next car will be a Nissan Qashqai

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    And your point is, cars and bikes can be just as bad as each other, IMO?

A lot of bikes in London have no concept of red lights or crossings, I have nearly been hit and shouted at on a number of occasions.
    With the rise of dual use pavements, I guess pedestrians need to become more cycle aware.

I've lost count of the number of times a pedestrian has blundered into my path causing me to apply my brakes to effect an emergency stop.

This when the thoroughfare is clearly demarcated by a white line with painted symbols indicating cyclists one side, pedestrians the other.

But yet, they still drift aimlessly across.

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
      With the rise of dual use pavements, I guess pedestrians need to become more cycle aware.

I've lost count of the number of times a pedestrian has blundered into my path causing me to apply my brakes to effect an emergency stop.

This when the thoroughfare is clearly demarcated by a white line with painted symbols indicating cyclists one side, pedestrians the other.

Errrrm......I wasn't talking about pavements.
      I was talking about red lights and pedestrian crossings.

As you don't know whether they are going to obey the red light of not they quite often nearly hit you.
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

NO...

cyclists need to be reminded that the pedestrian is now the more frail road user and that they need to be considerate in their speed and distances when approaching them...

You know just like you would like us motorists to do for you rather than mow you down like a lycra badger...

Comment

Modern day cars are effectively lethal weapons - and I say this from my experience as a cyclist.

In days gone by, most cars would struggle to reach 70 mph and you'd have wind it up some before you even got there.

These days a blip of the throttle and you're 0-60 in a couple of seconds taking out a couple of cycles in the process..

It's high time the bhp and top speeds of road vehicles was limited or perhaps some type of governor be fitted to all new vehicles.

It can't be hard with the technology we have at our fingertips.
          As a cyclist, your techology may be at your fingertips. But as a driver, my technology is at my toetips.

Now out of my way, non-road-tax-paying road-hogging peasant, before you end up in a hedge (if you're lucky!)
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
            NO...

cyclists need to be reminded that the pedestrian is now the more frail road user and that they need to be considerate in their speed and distances when approaching them...

You know just like you would like us motorists to do for you rather than mow you down like a lycra badger...
            The idiot with his head down smacking into the car is funny, but does raise a serious issue with cyclists, and I'm not 'anti' I cycle more days than not.
            Fools too interested in their data screen stuck on their stems, and ears filled with music. Pretty much deserve a prang IMHO.

Is why bikes always came with bells, if only more MAMILS would use them, instead of being obsessed with trying to look pro when you clearly ain't.

Respect the car, always thank nice behaviour, be considerate of everyone. Ring yer bell!

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
              I've seen far more cyclists take chances at red lights than car drivers. If cyclists are brain-dead enough to think that they'll win in a collision, let them carry on taking those risks.
              That's not how it works. As the one driving a couple of tonnes of metal at high speeds you're the one who has the responsibility to be vigilant. If a pedestrian stumbles into the road you're responsible to avoid them, same with lunatic cyclists. If you can't be observant for the dangers posed by careless fragile cyclists, you shouldn't be driving.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
                NO...

I generally do.

What's annoying, though, is that people don't often seem to be in much of a rush to get out of may way despite my having dinged my bell and issued a "coming behind" exclamation.

These kind of dawdlers invariably ruin a Strava PB attempt and it's something that sticks in the craw of most cyclists I know.

Comment

Pedestrians generally dawdle crossing the road too. And cyclists rarely rush to get out of cars' way.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I generally do.

What's annoying, though, is that people don't often seem to be in much of a rush to get out of may way despite my having dinged my bell and issued a "coming behind" exclamation.

These kind of dawdlers invariably ruin a Strava PB attempt and it's something that sticks in the craw of most cyclists I know.
                    Great that you kept the bell, however the whole Strava obsession is my gripe, treating the road as our personal racetrack is largely what alienates other users. Fine if the roads are empty, but TTing on busy streets is only asking for trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by glebe digital View Post
                      Great that you kept the bell, however the whole Strava obsession is my gripe, treating the road as our personal racetrack is largely what alienates other users. Fine if the roads are empty, but TTing on busy streets is only asking for trouble.
                      My bike is a little wider than most as it is faired. Having a bell to announce my arrival so that pedestrians can clear a path is pretty crucial IMO.

Comment

Working...
                      X