Post Brexit Exodus from Britain ? Post Brexit Exodus from Britain ? - Page 3
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 21 to 30 of 108
  1. #21

    Lord of the Vectras

    VectraMan - scorchio!

    VectraMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    European Union (Yorkshire)
    Posts
    11,442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    So we stop importing a fix and home-grow it instead.

    OK it takes time to train and recruit medical staff (and engineers). So we take some strategic leadership and make the investment now.

    Cutting the stuff the NHS funds would help. There is a lot off silly nonsense being funded. Also charge £20 for a GP consultation, and £50 for a missed appointment.

    This isn't rocket science.
    I agree, but how likely is any of that? Lots of European countries provide further education for free, even to foreign students, because they see it as an investment in the future. The British way is to whinge about students being freeloaders and charge them £9K per year, then whinge that we don't have skilled people, then whinge that there are too many immigrants, and finally blame the whole lot on the EU and vote to leave rather than face any of the problems we've created at home.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

  2. #22

    Godlike

    PurpleGorilla - scorchio!

    PurpleGorilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    5,642

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VectraMan View Post
    I agree, but how likely is any of that? Lots of European countries provide further education for free, even to foreign students, because they see it as an investment in the future. The British way is to whinge about students being freeloaders and charge them £9K per year, then whinge that we don't have skilled people, then whinge that there are too many immigrants, and finally blame the whole lot on the EU and vote to leave rather than face any of the problems we've created at home.
    People had a choice:

    1. More of the same tulip
    2. Rock the Casbah

    Absolutely brexit won't fix everything, in some ways it will make things worse. But maybe it will bring things to a head in order for big decisions and big leadership to actually happen.

  3. #23

    Better than AtW

    sasguru - scorchio!


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    35,976

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleGorilla View Post

    Absolutely brexit won't fix everything, in some ways it will make things worse. But maybe it will bring things to a head in order for big decisions and big leadership to actually happen.
    It will simply hasten the relative decline of the UK as the economy gets hollowed out.
    People like you and your family will bear the brunt of it which is right and proper.

    Losers will be losers, before or after Brexit.
    Last edited by sasguru; 11th April 2017 at 09:18.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

  4. #24

    My post count is Majestic

    vetran is always on top

    vetran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Come Friendly Bombs
    Posts
    31,380

    Default

    so lots of people who arrived since 2004 decide to go home and the UK will fall apart?

    Ok makes sense, so glad the ex spurts are here.

    Maybe this is why tax take is down?

    How EU migrants avoid tax in UK - Telegraph
    Romanians and Bulgarians coming to work can avoid paying taxes in Britain because of a loophole.
    Instead they can pay taxes at home where basic rates are much lower.
    The rules allow European workers “posted” to Britain for less than two years to pay national insurance and, in some cases, income tax in their own country.
    Almost 100,000 EU immigrants already in Britain are taking advantage of the regulations.
    The head of Romania’s biggest recruitment agency, which has just set up an office in London, said yesterday it was perfectly legitimate for workers coming to Britain to pay tax in their own country.
    "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

    I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

  5. #25

    Contractor Among Contractors

    sal 's job has never been outsourced


    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    1,764

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    so lots of people who arrived since 2004 decide to go home and the UK will fall apart?

    Ok makes sense, so glad the ex spurts are here.

    Maybe this is why tax take is down?

    How EU migrants avoid tax in UK - Telegraph
    Just like the claims of 100'000s of PSC contractors tax dodging scum. Both are exaggerated in terms of numbers and quoting edge cases, both are legal. Next...

  6. #26

    Godlike

    PurpleGorilla - scorchio!

    PurpleGorilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    5,642

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sal View Post
    Just like the claims of 100'000s of PSC contractors tax dodging scum. Both are exaggerated in terms of numbers and quoting edge cases, both are legal. Next...
    In both cases - I would actually say the government hasn't got a clue - and even if they did - it serves them to keep quiet.

  7. #27

    Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

    WTFH is always on top

    WTFH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    17,770

    Default

    Drop the EU safety rules put in by unelected bureacrats purely to make money for Germans, and we could end up reducing the population quite quickly.
    Strong and Stable Moderation

  8. #28

    Suffers Fools...Badly!

    shaunbhoy is always on top

    shaunbhoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Devon
    Posts
    29,695

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by milanbenes View Post
    Shaun, I gotta say, you're slipping, let's all chip in and get you a geography book.



    Milan.
    Said you were in Essen. Stopped reading before you elaborated.

    My bad.

    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

  9. #29

    Better than AtW

    sasguru - scorchio!


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    35,976

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    so lots of people who arrived since 2004 decide to go home and the UK will fall apart?
    Nope - its the educated UK Remainers, who by and large are the movers and shakers you should be worring about.
    Not all will be able to move, some will have no choice but to leave (as they get transferred abroad) and some who don't like what the UK is becoming will leave voluntarily.
    One parent at the lad's school told me "the social contract whereby I paid loads of tax to prop up the country is over, its every man for himself".
    He's moving his business to Europe - I know several other people doing that.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

  10. #30

    Better than AtW

    sasguru - scorchio!


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    35,976

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    I can't read maps,, coz I'm thick as mince

    My bad.


    FTFY
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •