• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Post-Brexit customs checks a 'catastrophe' for UK shipping: trade body

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    I am suggesting that redeployment of some of the resources spent in towns/cities in the UK to the borders may be more effective. Searching a lorry at one port to find illegal fags could be cheaper than searching several small corner shops in various parts of Britain that end up selling them.

"better checks, with a more focused system that addresses the main problems" and "Better border controls, if done properly" hardly translates to "Fortress Britain". The post you are arguing with exists only in your imagination.
    Complete bollocks as usual.
    The fact is that is the scenario feared by the trade body means customs officers will be tied up with checking the paperwork for each and every lorry leaving them less time to conduct checks or look for wrongdoing. A bureaucratic nightmare with little gain.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

I am suggesting that redeployment of some of the resources spent in towns/cities in the UK to the borders may be more effective. Searching a lorry at one port to find illegal fags could be cheaper than searching several small corner shops in various parts of Britain that end up selling them.

"better checks, with a more focused system that addresses the main problems" and "Better border controls, if done properly" hardly translates to "Fortress Britain". The post you are arguing with exists only in your imagination.
      Fine. Probably they have good reasons for the way that it's done now, and it's nothing to do with being in the EU.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I think the consequences of leaving the EU will be more about proper paperwork and having decent IT systems in place than a much greater percentage of physical stops and searches:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ps-declaration

Not helped by recent PS changes for contractors I daresay. However, surely even HMRC will manage to sort it eventually. (By 2089 I expect)

Actually stopping and searching all lorries from the EU that we don't now is hardly a necessity given that they will no more will be carrying illicit goods etc. than is currently the case. As for the effects on travellers, we already go through quite extensive document and baggage checks when we leave a country, including EU countries. It's essential for preventing terrorism, fake passports etc. it's not just about customs duties. Can't say I've found much difference between EU and a non EU countries. Getting a Visa is usually just a quick online job with a very small fee.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I think the consequences of leaving the EU will be more about proper paperwork and having decent IT systems in place than a much greater percentage of physical stops and searches:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ps-declaration

Not helped by recent PS changes for contractors I daresay. However, surely even HMRC will manage to sort it eventually. (By 2089 I expect)

Actually stopping and searching all lorries from the EU that we don't now is hardly a necessity given that they will no more will be carrying illicit goods etc. than is currently the case. As for the effects on travellers, we already go through quite extensive document and baggage checks when we leave a country, including EU countries. It's essential for preventing terrorism, fake passports etc. it's not just about customs duties. Can't say I've found much difference between EU and a non EU countries. Getting a Visa is usually just a quick online job with a very small fee.
          They are hoping to put in electronic systems that can detect illegal goods but need the French to agree otherwise it wont be effective, and therein lies the problem.
          Warning unicorn meat may give you hallucinations

Comment

Originally posted by motoukenin View Post
            They are hoping to put in electronic systems that can detect illegal goods but need the French to agree otherwise it wont be effective, and therein lies the problem.
            Or the whole EU probably.

Of course whether Kent becomes a lorry park or not is not dependent on the British government's feeble attempts at IT; that's wholly dependent on the French government/EU implementing an effective system. The British government can only effect the queues in Calais for lorries trying to get in.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              What flounce???
              http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...xodus-cuk.html

(although I see now that was a parody thread )
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
              X