• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Washing Machine Cuisine.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Washing Machine Cuisine.

One has to ask, how long it will be before we see a washing machine café manned by a team of keen hipsters in Shoreditch

A sprinkle of washing powder, a dash of fabric conditioner and a good slug of teriyaki sauce? Next time you load the washing machine, you might be adding some extra ingredients, if Israeli design student Iftach Gazit’s idea catches on. In response to our increasingly energy-conscious, time-poor existence, he has come up with a plan for boil-in-the-bag meals you can throw in with the laundry. Your dinner will come out steamed, pummelled and spun to a T.

His project imagines a range of pre-packed foods, from steak with garlic and herbs to salmon in teriyaki sauce, that come in waterproof Tyvek bags complete with washing temperatures and nutritional information displayed in the style of clothing labels. “I was inspired by the craze of sous vide cooking, where food is vacuum-sealed and immersed in hot water for long periods of time,” says the 31-year-old from Tel Aviv. “But rather than cooking a piece of meat at 58C for two and a half hours, you could just set your washing machine to ‘synthetics’ for a long cycle. For vegetables, you could set it to a short hot ‘cotton’ programme.”

https://www.theguardian.com/artandde...modern-cuisine
    The Chunt of Chunts.

How is this compatible with the exhortation to wash at 30 degrees?

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
      How is this compatible with the exhortation to wash at 30 degrees?
      Spoilsport
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Well.... 'energy conscious times' and 'boiling your washing' don't really mix do they?

Now i've actually read what you posted it's even more of a twattish idea - you'd need 3 washing machines to do all that. The maid and the chef would be fighting over them, the bags would split, you'd get gravy all over your work shirts.... stupid idea.

Why can't he imagine up some form of heat exchanger if he's so concerned about it? I'm sure a design student can come up with something more efficient than a bag of ******* vegetables to recover otherwise wasted heat.

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
          Well.... 'energy conscious times' and 'boiling your washing' don't really mix do they?

Now i've actually read what you posted it's even more of a twattish idea - you'd need 3 washing machines to do all that. The maid and the chef would be fighting over them, the bags would split, you'd get gravy all over your work shirts.... stupid idea.

Why can't he imagine up some form of heat exchanger if he's so concerned about it? I'm sure a design student can come up with something more efficient than a bag of ******* vegetables to recover otherwise wasted heat.

It really is
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

This is not a new idea; I remember doing a chicken casserole this way when I was a student.

The food was edible but bland – everything just tasted the same & it was mushy
            Growing old is mandatory
            Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
              This is not a new idea; I remember doing a chicken casserole this way when I was a student.

The food was edible but bland – everything just tasted the same & it was mushy
              Its just not right IMO.

The guy should be shot for persisting with it
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                Its just not right IMO.

The guy should be shot for persisting with it
                Aren't you suppose to cook salmon in the dishwasher?
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  Toffee vodka is another dishwasher one.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    Not at our house
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                    X