• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How much do you value being British?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had no idea you had to pay. How can they justify such a huge fee?

I'm happy to swap my UK citizenship for wherever it is you come from if you like. It's not worth anything to me.

I wonder if anyone's thought of a citizenship exchange scheme; it could work out quite well. It would allow lots of people who want to stay to stay by becoming UK citizens and so reducing the amount of jobs being done by immigrants, which will keep the Mailists happy. And all the brightest and best can go and work in the EU.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Having never had the urge to permanently relocate, I can't say if UK citizenship is worth more or less than that of any other country. You might find this site interesting when choosing your allegiance: https://www.passportindex.org/byRank.php

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
        I value it at about zero.
        I'm auctioning mine on ebay for €1 reserve price.
        First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          I had no idea you had to pay. How can they justify such a huge fee?

I'm happy to swap my UK citizenship for wherever it is you come from if you like. It's not worth anything to me.

I wonder if anyone's thought of a citizenship exchange scheme; it could work out quite well. It would allow lots of people who want to stay to stay by becoming UK citizens and so reducing the amount of jobs being done by immigrants, which will keep the Mailists happy. And all the brightest and best can go and work in the EU.
          Missing you already
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by yasockie View Post
            I mean really, in GBP terms.
            With the uncertainty of Brexit, I am faced with a dillemma, to buy protection from a certain racket or not.
            The protection is called UK citizenship and guarantees you the right to work in the UK in two years time.
            It currently costs around 3000GBP and I'm not sure if it's worth it.

What does the collective think?
            Is it worth spending 3 grand just to insure oneself?
            The odds of UK outright banning EU workers are slim, but so was brexit.
            In such a scenario, however, I see a death spiral where there may be work initially, after the ban and then a long steady decline after that.
            Maybe all that I will be buying is an admission ticket to a dwindling economy, where contracts will be scarce and lowly paid?
            When you consider the cost of obtaining citizenship of some banana republic, which can vary from $100,000 to $1,000,000 then 3,000GBP is not a lot of money, provided you can get it (it's not a given). I'd get it. It's worth having it if only to avoid the bureaucratic tulip storm unleashed upon foreigners by the Brexit scum.
            You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
              I'm auctioning mine on ebay for €1 reserve price.
              Any bids yet ??
              When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

I'll give you a good price for my passport. Only ask for 2.4% of all future earnings. Think of it as 'pay as you go'.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by yasockie View Post
                  I mean really, in GBP terms.
                  With the uncertainty of Brexit, I am faced with a dillemma, to buy protection from a certain racket or not.
                  The protection is called UK citizenship and guarantees you the right to work in the UK in two years time.
                  It currently costs around 3000GBP and I'm not sure if it's worth it.

What does the collective think?
                  Is it worth spending 3 grand just to insure oneself?
                  The odds of UK outright banning EU workers are slim, but so was brexit.
                  In such a scenario, however, I see a death spiral where there may be work initially, after the ban and then a long steady decline after that.
                  Maybe all that I will be buying is an admission ticket to a dwindling economy, where contracts will be scarce and lowly paid?
                  The cracks have just started for brexit, I'm English and some of the nicest people I have met In my industry have been from the Eastern Bloc. If we had another vote I would vote NO.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark2009 View Post
                    The cracks have just started for brexit, I'm English and some of the nicest people I have met In my industry have been from the Eastern Bloc. If we had another vote I would vote NO.
                    You mean you voted FOR Brexit first time around?

Whooooppppsss!!

Bad news, that was your ONE chance.
                    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                      Bad news, that was your ONE chance.
                      Why?

Referendum can and will be rerun.

Comment

Working...
                      X