• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexit DOOM™: Bloodbath in the City

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brexit DOOM™: Bloodbath in the City

"Lloyds Banking Group has decided to set up a European base in Germany after the UK leaves the EU, the BBC understands.

Lloyds has decided to convert its Berlin branch into a European hub, in order to maintain a presence inside the EU, sources told the BBC.

Several British financial institutions are putting plans in place to protect their EU operations after Brexit.

With the UK likely to leave the EU single market, they want to make sure they can still cater for EU clients.

Lloyds is the only major British lender that does not currently have a subsidiary in another EU nation.

However, it already has a branch in Berlin and employs 300 people in the city.

The Sunday Telegraph newspaper reported that Lloyds would apply for a new German banking licence within a few months, but the company has refused to comment.

HSBC has already said it is likely to move 1,000 workers from London to its European headquarters in Paris, while the insurance market Lloyds of London recently said it was setting up an office in Brussels.

Various studies have suggested tens of thousands of financial jobs could leave the UK after Brexit.

Many in the City of London fear a rival financial centre could emerge if many banks chose the same location, but no one place has yet emerged as a winner from Brexit"

Source: Lloyds eyes Berlin for post-Brexit push - BBC News

DOOMED!

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    "Lloyds Banking Group has decided to set up a European base in Germany after the UK leaves the EU, the BBC understands.

Source: Lloyds eyes Berlin for post-Brexit push - BBC News

DOOMED!
    Not doomed, just following the money... i.e. IT contractors moving to Germany.
    You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

Comment

So it's a sign of doom if any company or organisation sets up a satellite office in any other country other than it's home country?

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
        So it's a sign of doom if any company or organisation sets up a satellite office in any other country other than it's home country?
        In the current climate any company that sets up a "branch" in mainland EU gives sign of gloom because it's the first step to moving business and hence jobs to EU.

Comment

It's still happening AtW, embrace it

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            In the current climate any company that sets up a "branch" in mainland EU gives sign of gloom because it's the first step to moving business and hence jobs to EU.
            The fact that LLoyds is creating a few extra jobs in Berlin does not mean that it is preparing in any way to move jobs wholesale to the EU. LLoyds already has 300 jobs in Berlin.

Siemens opened a factory producing wind-turbine blades in Hull. Does this mean it's preparing to shift all it's manufacturing to the UK? BMW has a factory in China - is it moving its ops there?

Corporations expanding beyond their home territories can be portrayed as either a negative or positive event depending on your outlook on BREXIT.

Its just a company doing what companies the world over do. Minimising risk and preparing to take opportunities should they arise.

Comment

If you want to get outraged at something, maybe this is better?

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...harles-nutella
              First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
                If you want to get outraged at something, maybe this is better?

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...harles-nutella
                I'm getting lots of calls for berlin gigs, but for the 500E or so it still isn't worth it to relocate vs waiting for a GBP contract.

Comment

Originally posted by KentDogWalker View Post
                  I'm getting lots of calls for berlin gigs, but for the 500E or so it still isn't worth it to relocate vs waiting for a GBP contract.
                  Half of the calls I'm getting (5-6 of of ~10-12 per day) are about contracts in the Netherlands, Germany, France, Belgium, Switzerland, Sweden, or Spain. The rates are rising slowly. If I wasn't tied with some things to the UK for a while I'd go.

I used to say no to EU gigs, but I started telling agents who have them to call me in 6 months. I'm in contract in the UK and getting ready to launch my own online business. If the Brexit tulip continues, I may move to another country for work and incorporate my new business outside the UK.
                  You're awesome! Get yourself a t-shirt.

Comment

I'm gonna contact my accountant to see how complex things get if I start getting paid in SEK. How do you guys deal with getting in EU?

Comment

Working...
                    X