• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Could have been worse

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could have been worse

Next doors teenage lad was involved in a car accident on Saturday night.

He was in the back when the driver lost control and crashed at speed on a country road. Driver was killed outright, two other lads have broken bones, next doors has a broken back but the doctors have said they don't need to operate and say he should make a full recovery. Expected to come home in two weeks.

Very lucky boy.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

How old was the driver? What was the cause of the accident?

I hope all who can make a full recovery quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      How old was the driver? What was the cause of the accident?

I hope all who can make a full recovery quickly.

All teenagers, 18 or 19 years old. No idea of the cause atm, Police are still investigating.

But given the way teenage lads can be with a car there are some obvious options.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
        All teenagers, 18 or 19 years old. No idea of the cause atm, Police are still investigating.

But given the way teenage lads can be with a car there are some obvious options.
        That's why they talk about banning new drivers under 25 from having passengers and driving in the night.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I grew up in a little town called Oban. I returned to that town on the summer months during uni to cut the grass at the cemetery. I remember seeing the headstones belonging to guys I went to school with. Always road accidents. Up that way driving recklessly and drink was all they had to do. By the time I finished school the police decided to do something about it.

On my 18th the police started providing extra driving lessons for those that past their test. I recall being taught how to control a skid in the sports ground in a police car. Both on ice and dry ground. I did not appreciate it at the time but I do now. Drive into a skid, always, its saved me puff already!
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            That's why they talk about banning new drivers under 25 from having passengers and driving in the night.
            Which might also reduce insurance rates..

I lived very close to this from 22 years ago: -

Six die in blaze after car hits tree | The Independent

Horrible way to go. Car on fire, doors lock on impact so they burnt to death.

Why does it take so long to learn lessons?

Something not reported was that at the accident site traffic calming measures had just been introduced on Westmount road . This lead to a slalom. Inexperienced drivers, or those unfamiliar with road changes, might not be aware that when a car starts to slalom it can continue on. Without the traffic calming measures I think they would have been fine.

Alternatively I propose a new safety device for cars. A large spike in the middle of the steering wheel. Drivers would take a lot more care then.

Comment

Very sad.

Happened near me a few months ago.

Always seems to be youthful exuberance married to a lack of experience.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                All teenagers, 18 or 19 years old. No idea of the cause atm, Police are still investigating. ...
                It's pretty obvious what the cause was, as the same thing is always happening with cars packed full of teenagers one being the driver.

Freshly qualified young driver gets used to scooting around as the sole passenger in their shiny new jam jar, marvelling at how nippy and pokey it is, then agrees to give three or four of their mates a lift for a night out.

But when bombing it round a bend, which they have traversed many times on their own with no problem, the young inexperienced driver forgets that carrying an extra quarter of a ton weight the car will be significantly more sluggish at (among other things) braking and turning ...
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

A couple of years ago my Dad told me the 17 year old who lived next door to him had been killed in a car crash not long after passing his test. "Big upset" was the phrase he used.

Then again I used to drive like a loon as a 17 year old. I cringe to think of it now.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I remember being in a car around 17 when some of my mates had been lucky enough to have been bought a car. Definitely had some near misses.

I don't think extra driving tests are required.. iirc that was not the issue. It was the age/maturity of us... I'm probably a "worse" driver now than i was when i passed at 18, but I'm a hell of a lot safer.

Comment

Working...
                    X