• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tories Barometer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Its a general election not an MEP one. New Lie who pushed us further in to the EU have crashed & Burned and the original pro EU politicians have either died or seen the error of their ways.
    Last time I check Ken Clarke was still a live.

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Some people believe a corrupt and tyrannical EU organisation is probably the cause of Brexit. I mean who would want to leave a great organisation that served your needs?

Or you can blame the government that asked what the electorate wanted.
    I blame British national politicians for everything. They fecked up where other countries didn't.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
      Afternoon All,

got a good one to share with you.

A very old friend who is a hard core, die hard, free market Tory and totally committed Brexiter called me up today and was ranting and raving about how May has screwed up the Brexit opportunity and made Britain into a laughing stock by playing this cheap trick of calling a quick election. ...
      That can't be ruled out, but it seems much more likely she simply wants to give the Tories a full term to weather any downturns or upsets following the hard Brexit that also looks pretty likely given the EU's dogmatic intransigence (and with info not yet public, the Government may have concluded a hard Brexit is well nigh inevitable).

Also, who's to say Steptoe won't soon be ousted as Labour leader, or even retire on medical grounds, and be replaced by someone more voteworthy? Make hay while the Sun shines!

Furthermore, although it hasn't been much in the news, or not that I've noticed, the Tories have had a minor ongoing election expenses scandal simmering away on the back burner and perhaps threatening to burst into flames at any moment. So it may be the Government feels a fresh election, with no expense irregularities, would lay this to rest.

He also added that the total value of the buy to let mortgage market is 200bin gbp and that 80% of tenants are immigrants and if they all go home it will destroy the whole housing market in the UK
      The average person aged under about 40 would be pleased no end if the housing bubble burst, although obviously it would be pretty unpopular with older voters and/or property owners and would probably have some undesirable (perhaps catastrophic) side effects.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

The GE isn't a sign of a Hard Brexit it is the opposite.

If the Tories were heading for a Hard Brexit they wouldn't need a new mandate because there would be no agreement that would need to be voted on. The UK would just go crashing out. The reason May needs a mandate is because there is going to be a "sell out".

This is why the EU welcomes it.

EU welcomes UK general election

European Commission spokesperson Margaritis Schinas appeared to support the call for an early UK general election, saying, "We are in favour.

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          The GE isn't a sign of a Hard Brexit it is the opposite.
          I think it's the sign of hard Brexit because with this election they get time until 2022, where as otherwise in 2019 economy drops into real tulip with election in 2020 - scumbags want to buy 2 more years!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            where as otherwise in 2019 economy drops into real tulip with election in 2020 - scumbags want to buy 2 more years!
            Indeed.

Get the knife in whilst your opponent is awol. Not to mention getting rid of those pesky fraud allegations. Quite clever really.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              I think it's the sign of hard Brexit because with this election they get time until 2022, where as otherwise in 2019 economy drops into real tulip with election in 2020 - scumbags want to buy 2 more years!
              The GE services a number of purposes:
              1. Stops by-elections due to electoral expenses scandal.
              2. Allows May to negotiate how she wants - the Tories can infight as much as they like but there isn't a GE until 2022 and the boundaries will be changed.
              3. Gives the economy time to rebalance by 2022 from the mess of Brexit.
              4. Allows May to get rid of Davies, Bojo etc in a cabinet reshuffle
              5. Means May won't be remembered like Gordon Brown as bottling it.
              6. Ensures she gets an adequate opposition so it shuts up rebellious Tory MPs

In the case of Labour they will lose on 4th May in council elections and lose again in June.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                The GE services a number of purposes:
                1. Stops by-elections due to electoral expenses scandal.
                2. Allows May to negotiate how she wants - the Tories can infight as much as they like but there isn't a GE until 2022 and the boundaries will be changed.
                3. Gives the economy time to rebalance by 2022 from the mess of Brexit.
                4. Allows May to get rid of Davies, Bojo etc in a cabinet reshuffle
                5. Means May won't be remembered like Gordon Brown as bottling it.
                6. Ensures she gets an adequate opposition so it shuts up rebellious Tory MPs

In the case of Labour they will lose on 4th May in council elections and lose again in June.
                A pretty good summary. I'm not sure about the reshuffle bit - you are right, it does give her the option, but she knows she'll be better off with Boris inside cabinet (mostly behaving) than outside. Also I'd change "mess" to "upheaval".
                Otherwise, you've got it spot on.
                His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                  A pretty good summary. I'm not sure about the reshuffle bit - you are right, it does give her the option, but she knows she'll be better off with Boris inside cabinet (mostly behaving) than outside. Also I'd change "mess" to "upheaval".
                  I would give Bojo culture,media and sport.

And tell Davies to feck off and get some business person in even if I had to raid the House of Lords.

Comment

Originally posted by diseasex View Post
                    Deluded is you voting for these idiots responsible for this whole situation!
                    Given how this government have attacked us contractors, I'm surprised any contractor would vote Tory. They hate us and are gunning for us, yet peeps on here still vote for them? Bonkers. Turkeys voting for Xmas! You get them back in with a majority and you can say goodbye to contracting as we know it.
                    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                      If he holds on to his seat. London voted Remain. Boris could quite possibly lose his seat to the Lib Dems if his constituency don't see the future the same as him!
                      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Working...
                      X