• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

May signals She won't give more brexit details

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Holding a general election = Mahusiv delay

There was nothing stopping the Tories proceeding but for their own infighting. No more blaming the EU.
    I think the delay might be tactical - gives a few weeks for the negotiations to start without the same spotlight on them.
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

I think May might have screwed up here, people might just vote labour to p*ss off the tories as they don't like them and its nothing to do with policy.

Comment

Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
        How does a GE stop remoaners in her own party? Unless they don't run again or lose their seats?
        If she has a GE and wins a massive majority then she can choose to do what she likes knowing that even if lots of Tories rebel she can push any bill through.

If she gets the same majority then she cannot do what she likes.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by BoggyMcCBoggyFace View Post
          I think May might have screwed up here, people might just vote labour to p*ss off the tories as they don't like them and its nothing to do with policy.
          Perhaps. The protest vote will be diluted across labour, liberals and SNP. So TMs majority may rise (unless the opposition unites)
          http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by BoggyMcCBoggyFace View Post
            Why would I vote Labour when the second party in my constituency is the Lib Dems? Same as those in Scotland - they should vote SNP.

The reason why people are saying there should be a central left coalition is so that the party likely in each constituency to beat the Tories should run and other candidates should withdraw either physically or by saying vote for X.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Why would I vote Labour when the second party in my constituency is the Lib Dems? Same as those in Scotland - they should vote SNP.
              I looked up the 2015 result for here and the LibDems dropped from second to fourth, losing 15% of their previous vote, mostly to UKIP but Labour also gained. So voting tactically is going to be a bit difficult.

One thing that might happen (though I doubt it) is that the public is so fed up with voting we have a record low turn out. And that increases the chances of a poll-defying result.

Anyway, Brexit means Brexit. It suits May to have a GE whilst we still have no idea what that actually means, so of course she isn't going to say anything.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                You really don't understand what's going on, do you.

Nobody starts a negotiation by laying out exactly what they are going to do. That would be stupid.

However nobody starts a negotiation by leaving lots of people on your side (in theory) who are ready and willing to f*** up your negotiation. You either remove them or neutralise them.

Brexit is going to happen, that is now inevitable. Most of the Remoaners, including people in May's own party, are demanding things that simply cannot happen - unfettered access to the single market for example - in exchange for not f***ing things up at the last minute. That is a risk that has to be removed at source.

Now do you understand?
                A real case of turkey voting for Xmas, she wants to be free of manifesto promises of no invome tax/NIC tax increases, have high majority to rule without checks from MPs - she is doing it for herself, not country.

Oh and it's totally logical to publicly sat what you want from negotiations - best practice really

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  The reason why people are saying there should be a central left coalition is so that the party likely in each constituency to beat the Tories should run and other candidates should withdraw either physically or by saying vote for X.
                  If we had PR that wouldn't be necessary.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    Holding a general election = Mahusiv delay

There was nothing stopping the Tories proceeding but for their own infighting. No more blaming the EU.
                    The only thing that is going to cause a delay is an unexpected Lib Dem win.

The basic grunt work that is going on right now isn't going to stop. It's all done by civil servants negotiating with other civil servants. It's not the MPs ( or the MEPs ) who actually do the work.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                      If we had PR that wouldn't be necessary.
                      Well most of you voted against a change in the voting system.

I voted for it even though I don't like parties like UKIP as I knew that the only way to have a more representative democracy is to get as close to PR as possible.

Now most people don't have a party in their area who represents them if they are against hard Brexit let alone Brexit at all.

Comment

Working...
                      X