• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The 50 year old programmer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Different strokes, I've found a weekly get together to be enough - saying that I've never worked in a team with more than 10 devs. Perhaps size matters.

We are lucky we don't work in Silicon Valley https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...o-old-for-this
    I was just turning 40 during my one and only contract on Silicon Roundabout and I was probably too old for them then. I suspect being 43 now i wouldn't even get considered.

One thing though. If they ever drag us all into IR35 in the private sector we should start demanding protection against age discrimination.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      There was a "motorbike regatta", where hundreds of blokes dressed up in 30-40's dapper gear, rode into town on their vintage motor bikes.

Admittedly some of them didn't look ridiculous, but a lot of them did.

In the end if they are enjoying it and not hurting anyone then what does it matter if they look silly.

I drive a Porsche, old one now but enjoy it and couldn't give a tulip if people think it's a mid life.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        When I see older men in such cars I think they have problems with one of their body parts. Oddly now in my area if you are that well off as a guy you are better being one of those guys who over exercises or has an expensive motorbike as people don't think you so much of a w*nker. Though some male cyclists have started to fall into the car trap with cost of their bike....
        This was about 14 years ago, when I was young (36) and virile so I guess I could carry it :-D

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
          Three clichés in one paragraph.

The great thing about clichés is they are so substitutable:

When I see older women in such cars, I think they have problems with one of their body parts. Oddly now in my area if you are that well off as a gal you are better being one of those gals who over exercises or has an expensive motorbike as people don't think you so much of a w*nker. Though some female cyclists have started to fall into the car trap with cost of their bike....
          I've got a Honda GL1500 Goldwing. It's a full dresser. And then some. I have absolutely no compunction in taking to the roads with other members of the Goldwing Owners Club during the summer. We normally hit the south coast for a weekend and, as most of us tow trailers, we turn up with frame tents, barbies, crates of beer, the works.

I'm also an active member of MAG & also attend a lot of their rallies and events.

My point is, I'm an older woman and I'm absolutely loving it. Wonder if I'd feel more self conscious if I were a man?

Comment

In the end if they are enjoying it and not hurting anyone then what does it matter if they look silly.

I drive a Porsche, old one now but enjoy it and couldn't give a tulip if people think it's a mid life.
            Exactly. The next time I need a second car, I'll definitely be getting something sporty - because I'll enjoy it and I can afford it. And it'll annoy a fair number of bleeding heart liberals I know.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

My thoughts too. I bought a stupidly cheap drophead Merc which I can squeeze the kids into. I've always loved convertibles for no other reason than they great fun when the weather is good. Do I look silly? No idea and not fussed (which is one of the benefits of getting a bit older).

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
                I've got a Honda GL1500 Goldwing. It's a full dresser. And then some. I have absolutely no compunction in taking to the roads with other members of the Goldwing Owners Club during the summer. We normally hit the south coast for a weekend and, as most of us tow trailers, we turn up with frame tents, barbies, crates of beer, the works.

I'm also an active member of MAG & also attend a lot of their rallies and events.

My point is, I'm an older woman and I'm absolutely loving it. Wonder if I'd feel more self conscious if I were a man?
                I would hope not. Which was my point.

It was one of your "fairer sex" that commented that maybe you should be "self-conscious" of your lifestyle choices - but only if you were a man, of course.

For the record, I've two motorcycles. So I guess I must really have some issues.
                nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post

Inneresting
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by nomadd View Post

For the record, I've two motorcycles. So I guess I must really have some issues.
                    Full dressers?

Comment

Linky: Software Developers After 40, 50 and 60 Who Hate Being A Manager, But Love Coding.

Comment

Working...
                      X