• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Election crisis

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chopper View Post
    I've just realised...

Where I live, Labour have led since 1922 and in 2015, polling was

Labour, 53.9%
    Conservative, 22.6%
    UKIP, 19.7%
    Lib Dem, 2.5%

There is no way on Earth am I voting Conservative. I never have and never will, especially not given May's Brexit vision. Distancing ourselves from the EU is a good thing, but I am firmly in the EFTA/EEA camp.

I am historically a Labour voter, but seriously there is no way on Earth am I voting for a Corbyn led Labour.

So here's the dilemma. Voting for 'someone else' (i.e. Lib Dems) is effectively taking a Labour voter away and moving the despicable Tories up the pecking order.

Tactically, I think I'm actually going to have to vote for Labour and that makes me very miserable (I take some comfort in June 8th really really having to be the end of Corbyn's leadership but seriously - who else is there with any crumb of credibility?)

Realistically, I think the UKIP vote will dissolve away and Lib Dems will pick up again (having polled 3.5% and 18.2% respectively in 2010) and we are definately in one of those 'red rosette on a chimp would win' constituencies but.. Dilemma dilemma.
    I'm a staunch remainer but I accept Brexit is a given. And like you, given that's the case, I am firmly in the EFTA/EEA camp as it minimises the economic harm (I have arranged my affairs to be Ok and even prosper in a hard Brexit event, but I really can't find it in myself to have the schadenfreude to enjoy the pain that will cause to the idiots who voted Brexit).

My constituency is a Tory stronghold, however the Lib Dems came within 5000 votes in 2010 (obviously having collapsed in 2015).
    So for me the Lib Dem vote is a no-brainer.*
    There is no issue so important to this country as Brexit and it behoves everyone to hold their nose if necessary and vote tactically in this election.

*I have always voted Tory, cannot bring myself to vote for them this time - they have put the interests of the party ahead of that of the country + the loons have too much power now and are pushing for a hard Brexit that will only benefit them and their chums.
    Last edited by sasguru; 20 April 2017, 09:12.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

I think what will make this election very, very inneresting would be if all the parties who backed Remain were to form a progressive alliance and agree to not stand in constituencies where a candidate of another alliance party has a stronger chance of winning.

That would mean Labour not fielding candidates many places in the south, none in Scotland and, err, well not many at all quite frankly.

What's not to like?

Comment

My constituency has been Tory since at least 1868. Even if all the non Tory votes from the 2010 election had voted Lib Dem, the Tories would still have had a majority of over 6,000.

I'll vote Lib Dem, in a vain hope to unseat the odious Chris Grayling but I don't hold out much hope.
        England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          .. I really can't find it in myself to have the schadenfreude to enjoy the pain that will cause to the idiots who voted Brexit ...
          Oh come off it - You'd love it!
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
            I think what will make this election very, very inneresting would be if all the parties who backed Remain were to form a progressive alliance and agree to not stand in constituencies where a candidate of another alliance party has a stronger chance of winning.

That would mean Labour not fielding candidates many places in the south, none in Scotland and, err, well not many at all quite frankly.

What's not to like?
            Labour wants to lose their deposits as they really think they can win in constituencies where they had no hope in 2015 and 2010.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
              My constituency has been Tory since at least 1868. Even if all the non Tory votes from the 2010 election had voted Lib Dem, the Tories would still have had a majority of over 6,000.

I'll vote Lib Dem, in a vain hope to unseat the odious Chris Grayling but I don't hold out much hope.
              He studied history at Cambridge. That's almost guaranteed to make you a blithering idiot, if you weren't one before.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                Oh come off it - You'd love it!
                I don't want pitchforks scratching my shiny new Mercedes
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  He studied history at Cambridge. That's almost guaranteed to make you a blithering idiot, if you weren't one before.
                  So when were you there?
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
                  X