• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Will the General Election affect the state of the Contract Market?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dunno about the election, but Brexit will undoubtedly reduce the size of the IT contract market for most.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Dunno about the election, but Brexit will undoubtedly reduce the size of the IT contract market for most.
      Surely the whole point of Brexit was to say we've had enough of talented Lithuanian developers coming over and taking our Laravel contracts?

Comment

BAU I think - it will pass

one day at a time

Comment

Originally posted by ginjar View Post
          Surely the whole point of Brexit was to say we've had enough of talented Lithuanian developers coming over and taking our Laravel contracts?
          Half the immigrants to UK are from India and China, reduction in Lithuanians will be immediately replaced with the Mumbai crew
          Warning unicorn meat may give you hallucinations

Comment

Half the immigrants to UK are from India and China
            = half of immigrants are *not* from India or China.

If you think *all* the EU workers who will be put off coming to the UK (or unable to) post-Brexit will be replaced by non-EU workers, what do you think those non-EU workers are doing just now? And why would you expect EU workers to be replaced by non-EU immigrants?

I would have thought the consensus is that, post-Brexit, there will be a smaller pie, a reduced IT contract market, but also a smaller number of people getting a slice of it. Awful for the UK's (London's) aspirations as a tech hub, but maybe no massive difference for most (British) contractors.

Comment

Market for my skillset is very boyant at the moment, and has been since the start of the month. Things are looking good...

Comment

Once you give TM power it really will go to her head and you will see private sector IR35, I guarantee it
                Warning unicorn meat may give you hallucinations

Comment

Originally posted by motoukenin View Post
                  Once you give TM power it really will go to her head and you will see private sector IR35, I guarantee it
                  Not really in much of a position to be offering guarantees though, are you?

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by ginjar View Post
                    = half of immigrants are *not* from India or China.

If you think *all* the EU workers who will be put off coming to the UK (or unable to) post-Brexit will be replaced by non-EU workers, what do you think those non-EU workers are doing just now? And why would you expect EU workers to be replaced by non-EU immigrants?

I would have thought the consensus is that, post-Brexit, there will be a smaller pie, a reduced IT contract market, but also a smaller number of people getting a slice of it. Awful for the UK's (London's) aspirations as a tech hub, but maybe no massive difference for most (British) contractors.
                    Not really because the government doesn't have a quota system. A company recruiting IT staff has access to the entire global population of IT staff. They only have to offer a job and the visa is automatic. That will not change post-Brexit.
                    Your competition is and always will be "the entire world".
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                      You'll be fine sas. The bottom has dropped out of the market since they closed the Lollipop Operative Training Academy in Surbiton.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                      X