• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Will the General Election affect the state of the Contract Market?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ginjar View Post
    = half of immigrants are *not* from India or China.

If you think *all* the EU workers who will be put off coming to the UK (or unable to) post-Brexit will be replaced by non-EU workers, what do you think those non-EU workers are doing just now? And why would you expect EU workers to be replaced by non-EU immigrants?

I would have thought the consensus is that, post-Brexit, there will be a smaller pie, a reduced IT contract market, but also a smaller number of people getting a slice of it. Awful for the UK's (London's) aspirations as a tech hub, but maybe no massive difference for most (British) contractors.
    Not sure I follow any of your logic here but I was on a Fin tech contract in London just over 3 years ago and looking through the project dist list could only recognise 2 British names most sounded European, does that answer your question?

You have to see the uk in a multicultural light look at the 20 teams in the premier league, 30% British, same for most FTSE 100 industries including bosses of multinationals only 35% British there.

Don't go down the road of vetran and mordac old fogies pining for times past.
    Warning unicorn meat may give you hallucinations

Comment

Originally posted by motoukenin View Post
      Not sure I follow any of your logic here but I was on a Fin tech contract in London just over 3 years ago and looking through the project dist list could only recognise 2 British names most sounded European, does that answer your question?

You have to see the uk in a multicultural light look at the 20 teams in the premier league, 30% British, same for most FTSE 100 industries including bosses of multinationals only 35% British there.

Don't go down the road of vetran and mordac old fogies pining for times past.
      Times past - you mean before 2004 in the case of EU nationals?

So the entire company being staffed by non British workers is the glorious future? Wonder where the tax & money goes?
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

So the entire company being staffed by non British workers is the glorious future? Wonder where the tax & money goes?
        The tax goes to the UK government as the EU nationals work and live in London.

It is actually common in London to have very few British staff in a company let alone Londoners. Hence the thing about those living next to Canary Wharf not having the chance to work there.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

OK vetran answer these questions truthfully

1) How may times in the past have British governments failed to stop the rise of immigration into the UK and failed ?

2) What makes you think Brexit is going to achive this as most of the failures have been due to large multinationals pushing for tier 3 or tier 4 candidates?

3) The EU nationals in the UK already (approx 3 million) pay more tax than receive benefits, could the UK take such a tax hit if they leave ?
          Warning unicorn meat may give you hallucinations

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            The tax goes to the UK government as the EU nationals work and live in London.

It is actually common in London to have very few British staff in a company let alone Londoners. Hence the thing about those living next to Canary Wharf not having the chance to work there.
            Are you sure? Most of these firms are pretty good at tax avoidance

How EU migrants avoid tax in UK - Telegraph

Remember if you are not resident here you don't need to pay full tax.

Question is why are there large companies in the UK staffed mainly by non brits? I will concede hiring the best should not be restricted to the UK but almost entirely non british there has to be a reason?

Comment

Are you sure? Most of these firms are pretty good at tax avoidance

How EU migrants avoid tax in UK - Telegraph

Remember if you are not resident here you don't need to pay full tax.

Question is why are there large companies in the UK staffed mainly by non brits? I will concede hiring the best should not be restricted to the UK but almost entirely non british there has to be a reason?
              There are thousands of firms of different sizes in London so presuming most of their staff aren't paying UK taxes isn't correct especially as taxes particularly social taxes are higher in lots of EU countries. So while your top banker maybe on the fiddle the PA won't be.

Comment

Originally posted by motoukenin View Post
                OK vetran answer these questions truthfully

1) How may times in the past have British governments failed to stop the rise of immigration into the UK and failed ?

2) What makes you think Brexit is going to achive this as most of the failures have been due to large multinationals pushing for tier 3 or tier 4 candidates?

3) The EU nationals in the UK already (approx 3 million) pay more tax than receive benefits, could the UK take such a tax hit if they leave ?
                1. They chose not to. However EU migration was overtaking non EU migration and the public had had enough.

2. Immigration is on the table, I suspect it will be discussed more. Multinationals also stopped training because it was cheaper to import a cheap resource.

3. Paying tax is not normally enough if you are using services, you need to pay significant tax to cover the services you use. Note the mass immigration (0.5Million a year) from Eastern Europe started in 2004 so its not like we have actually become totally dependent on them. I have only seen a roll up, are you telling me migrants from Eastern Europe working as Baristas pay more in tax than they use in Benefits or services?

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  There are thousands of firms of different sizes in London so presuming most of their staff aren't paying UK taxes isn't correct especially as taxes particularly social taxes are higher in lots of EU countries. So while your top banker maybe on the fiddle the PA won't be.
                  you would be surprised how keen companies are to avoid tax.

I'm not suggesting they are all on the tax but something other than a AssSnob 'all brits are cretins' needs to be found to explain the makeup.

Why are they predominantly non British, what benefit does it have for the UK?

Comment

you would be surprised how keen companies are to avoid tax.

I'm not suggesting they are all on the tax but something other than a AssSnob 'all brits are cretins' needs to be found to explain the makeup.

Why are they predominantly non British, what benefit does it have for the UK?
                    Companies not paying tax is different to individuals not paying tax. So while Uber pays no tax their drivers do. Likewise with Google and their staff.

Comment

Working...
                    X